*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Pre-paste isn't the problem the paste is the issue, they are too dry and often feels like colored clay or rotten cake mix applied on heatsink. Too high temps breaks and thermal gets way worse than toothpaste!

Rei Fukai likes this.
  2. Sentential

Sentential Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes but those wax pads server a purpose, namely to protect the die from shock and second to server as a permanent TIM so that it does not have to be replaced. Granted good pads cost money and you could argue that higher dollar builds should receive better materials but ultimately its a combination of the inflexibility of the parts being used to the heat they produce combined with the fact that their heatsink designs supply inadequate pressure. PGS is new and has only recently been applied to OEM devices like the Radeon VII and should be used everywhere but validation takes time as to OEM trends.

3. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Amroth

I really like Gelid pads 12Wm/k, they are normal price, do not get dry, come in all sizes, and very good for low pressure laptop heat-sinks. Everyone I know who used them is happy with them. And, they act like thick thermal paste (not spongy) LOL:vbthumbsup:

4. Testa

Testa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, they said 101c is normal for that CPU and I can't get re-paste through Dell, as I bought 3 years premium guarantee, I can't do the re-paste otherwise I will have problem with my guarantee in case something goes wrong within 3 years. I guess I wiill have to live with that, or refund the machine, but dont want to refund though.. perhaps try again in a few months and ask for a re-past from them and make the engineer come and use a good one.

5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Doing your own (non Liquid Metal) repaste has no effect on the warranty PERIOD. Dont let any tech or Dell help idiot tell you any different.

6. Testa

Testa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Glad to hear that, I will look through it and re-paste it, specially because I do 3d rendering all the time and can't run it always at 101c.

Thanks mate

Vasudev, Xatanú and ThatOldGuy like this.
  7. John..Doe

John..Doe Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

Thanks for this awesome thread!

I'm interested in buying a 51m and I understand that it's a desktop replacement with 2 power bricks.
    Despite these constraints, has anyone used it as a "lap"top - working on it with it on your lap while you are in bed? Does it get too warm to keep it on your lap and game for a few hours (weight might be another factor)?

8. Expje87

Expje87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For just some webbrowsing it's oke to have on your lap. Don't even think about gaming on this beast while it is on your lap. It will have problems cooling since it sucks up air underneath it.

9. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Your Pix don’t show anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    You gave your opinion but i absolutely and vehemently disagree based on my 25+ years of experience. Stiffer pads make better contacts are are plain better. Try to cut through a fujipoly pad. You'll see the mesh inside that makes it stiffer and enables heat transfer more efficiently. I've never seen one of these pads fail, ever, unless applied by a hooligan.

And as far as the first batch goes, Dell has been so far quite generous in offering replacements. And as much as I agree that they could do a better themal job within the factory, I think that they have created a masterpiece once tamed down perfectly like in my case. I'm not fully happy with them but I'm contended that I invested my money nicely.