*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. cope123abc

cope123abc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would be cautious with the extreme thermal pads - I have the 17Mw Alphacool thermal pads on my 1080's and they have started to crumble, from looking at prices the guy who owned the laptop originally splashed over £200 just on these pads for 2 sets, just my 2 cents worth...

propeldragon and c69k like this.
  2. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nothing that "they" do is good, doesn't matter who "they" are. Only what "you" do is good because you know it and you make sure of it.

c69k likes this.
  3. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That doesn't make a difference as long as you do not use them over multiple times after they have dried up. Thermal pads end up drying out and they are fine as long as you do not pull things apart on a regular basis. That's why you have to have a stock of thermal pads at home at all times if you are an enthusiast.

4. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    where did u buy your laptop from?

5. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I bought mine from HIDevolution and according to Dell, this is the second "upgraded" batch with changes made to the GPU to prevent further future hardware failures.

alexnvidia likes this.
  6. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So FYI, In order to save time. I simply installed the samsung 970 pro I had from when the laptop died into the new replacement.
    Windows gave me upon boot the a message along the lines "configuring". It's a message I have seen again when I was younger, when I picked a harddrive as is from one laptop and put it into another. I suppose windows tries configure itself to possible changes on the new laptop.
    Even though the laptop had exact same configuration as the one that died, I still got that message, probably because it's different physical parts after all. Though don't know if that in terms of drivers/configuration changed anything.

So windows booted up. First thing I did was start dell support assist. Which showed my previous service tag. So I removed it and reinstalled it. Now it was fine.
    I Checked for updates, there was chipset and Bios updates available which I installed.
    Bios was of course on this machine back to RAID. By switching to windows safe boot I switched to AHCI again. and my samsung 970 Pro was now properly recognized by the Samsung application.

Alienware command center had an update. It wanted to update but failed each time. So uninstalled it, and installed the update manually afterwards. So that is fine too.
    Apart from that everything was good, no issues. Everything working as it should be so far.

Also windows 10 didn't need re-activation, it was activated.

Also about that chipset update. Ever since I switched to AHCI, that was also on my died laptop. The chipset update keep re-appearing upon checking for updates on dell supportassist. even though I installed like a couple times.

7. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    that corner cutting cooling "upgrade" job was from HID?? that's really bad considering their reputation and you are paying a premium for their services. stacking thermal pads is the last thing to be expected from HID considering how highly @Ultra Male recommended HID. what's going on HID? QC & reputation seemed to have gone down the drain @Donald@HIDevolution @Ted@HIDevolution

propeldragon and S.K like this.
  8. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:

i remember one guy in this thread wrote about HID comparing to Dell: you get what pay for.... yeah sure... buy cheaper from Dell, repaste in 30 mins -> same job done, XXX bucks saved

eidt: found it:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Darkhan, alexnvidia and S.K like this.
  9. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And guess what? I paid extra for this upgrade. 30 bucks to be precise. I could have saved those bucks and had done it myself but I thought of giving them a try due to shortage of time these days. I ended up doing it anyway as I didn't have a choice due to horrible thermals on the system when it arrived.

10. Sherif_k

Sherif_k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have you got any help with that? I have the same issue here!