*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The first pic, my lord. Look how much thermal paste the reseller used! Way too much, insane amount of spill over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S.K likes this.
  2. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I think the 2070 doesn't need that plate because the thermals are totally OK as far as I can tell. And I'm not even sure if the 2070 DGFF has the mounting bracket for this plate as it goes in with 2 screws. It's not just slap on kind of heat sink on the back. I guess first check what your DGFF underside looks like for the 2070. If there is a fitting available then you can think of buying next.

SacraficeMyGoat likes this.
  3. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I know right?! And it had already hardened in less than a week of use. I'm not sure whether Gelid GC Extreme hardens that quickly as that's what the re-seller claims to put on there. I'm a kryonaut user so this was something that was new to me. Kryonaut doesn't harden up this quickly.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  4. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Alright thanks! I'll have to check next time I pull it apart.

S.K likes this.
  5. Alex4seby

Alex4seby Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Good job, for the perfect contact..put paste, put heatsink, tite the heatsink and check trmps and pads if thry make contact and was better to cut one piece like this..

Attached Files:

S.K likes this.
  6. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I like to keep the thermal pad pieces a bit bigger than needed as it is easier to cover the entire area of the component surface without worrying that it will slide off just enough to burn the component while putting the heat sink on. Thermal pads are so cheap. I don't know why people buy such huge laptops and then cheap out on these petty but crucial expenditures. Everyone should do this job on their laptops if they really want to enjoy what they have bought.

7. SacraficeMyGoat

Reputations:
    Did you just buy .5mm and 1mm pads? I've been wanting to do this but I'm still unsure of the amount I need. It's around $12 or so for a 50mmx50mm square. Which seems REALLY small.

8. Alex4seby

Alex4seby Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You dont need 5mm, if you put 5mm the heatsink will not toutch the gpu/cpu

9. SacraficeMyGoat

Reputations:
    There's a decimal in front.. lol

S.K likes this.
  10. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I bought 2 of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZSJQLME/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    and 2 of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZSJQDYA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The seller was nice enough to give me one extra 1mm pack so I got a total of 5 packs. But I only ended up using half of one 0.5mm pad and one of the 1mm pad with a little bit extra from the second pack. The 0.5mm pad was used to thicken up the DGFF underside contact as 1mm was too thin for it; and on the immediate left side of CPU socket (by left I mean the side towards the battery connector on the motherboard). So if you buy 1x0.5mm of these and 2x1mm then you'll be good to go. However, I'd recommend that you buy these in bulk with at least 2-3 times what you need right now. It helps tremendously in the future as you don't have to wait when it's the time to re-paste things again.

P.S., This is something that you do only once a year or so, so I'd recommend getting the FujiPoly ones as their heat transfer capability is hands down THE BEST in the market without being too excessive in cost.

SacraficeMyGoat likes this.