*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Appreciate the help. Still nothing though. When i look through properties, windows recognizes it as an ICC file and shows default app as Color Management, so i'm not sure why it isn't working.. When i browse i can see it, but when i add it to color management, the profile is nowhere to be found.. I suppose i could try removing it and downloading it again and convert to .icm again as well and see if that fixes it.

c69k likes this.
  2. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    SacraficeMyGoat likes this.
  3. SacraficeMyGoat

Reputations:
    Unfortunately nothing is showing up still. Even tried redownloading it and converting it to .icm again. Guess i'm just stuck calibrating it myself with my eyeballs or sticking to the default profile. Appreciate you trying to help though. Should any profiles be showing when i first open color management, and select 'use my settings for this device?'

4. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @SacraficeMyGoat

Okey, let's go PM, I will guide you step by step. It simply works. Otherwise when I wake up, moderators will shoot me.

SacraficeMyGoat likes this.
  5. rodarkone

rodarkone Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Is anybody is planning for direct die cooling ?

6. SacraficeMyGoat

Reputations:
    I know 1-2 people mentioned it, haven't heard any updates on it yet. Hopefully if it does work they'll let us know though!

7. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    So here we go! This is the thermal pad job that my Area 51-m (9900K + Rtx 2080) came with.

Can you see the size of these thermal pads and how the person doing the job has cut corners by placing SMALLER pads on the power components leaving a substantial part of their surface completely neglected?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is a part underneath the DGFF card where two different kinds of thermal pads are simply slapped together ! This is such a waste of FujiPoly thermal pads when it's paired with a cheap blue pad that is worthless.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is side by side comparison of what it came with and what I'm about to put on it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice and clean and ready to go:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CPU delidded and prepped for liquid metal with some metal polish:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All done! After letting the silicon adhesive dry for a while on just couple of corners on the CPU re-lid tool, I manually closed the remaining gap between the IHS and PCB with a tiny match stick dipped in silicon to close off any possible ways for the liquid metal to seep out. Here's what it looks like:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now everything runs great! The only annoyance for me was that when I pulled out the DGFF card, I ended up unplugging the DGFF cable a little bit which forced me to open it all back up to re-plug that thing as I was having no display. And then there was this annoyance with the RAM not getting detected because I kept the battery out for a while perhaps. But after a reset with factory ram sticks, I was able to get my Ram back. All 64 beautiful gigs of it. :p

Job finished at around 5 in the morning lol. As a quick test, I ran cinebench and got brilliant scores (4858 with temps lurking between mid 70s to early 80s) and with a stable undervolt of 115mV, the 9900K is running stable with boost set to 5 GHz with temperatures lurking in mid 70s. This is so much better than mid 90s that I was getting before with the same settings!

For thermal paste, I used Kryonaut. Thought initially of going liquid metal on top as well but since I lug this laptop around, I figured it's not as safe to do that in my case, so left it alone with Kryonaut. The temps are VERY satisfactory so I am going to call it a day and live happily ever after with my games and stuff. :p

Edit: I have no idea who deleted my pictures from this comment before, but I have re-linked them here for reference.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  8. SacraficeMyGoat

Reputations:
    Nice work! A lot of effort went into that lol. Glad it paid off.

Does the 2080 have thermal pads underneath? Does it also have a plate underneath?

Just curious as my 2070 doesn't have any pads underneath, nor does it have a plate. But I could have sworn I saw somewhere that the 2080 had a plate on the back.

VoodooChild and S.K like this.
  9. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Yes the 2080 has a plate as well as thermal pads underneath as you can see in the second picture above in my comment. But it is no good if it comes with a cheap thermal pad job like in my case. I asked the reseller to "upgrade" to fujipoly thermal pads and the genius doing the job simply slapped a 0.5mm FujiPoly thermal pad on a cheap blue thermal pad that was already on there! This is how they cut corners and when people push their systems hard without any mods, they end up on the shelf.

10. SacraficeMyGoat

Reputations:
    Yikes! Yeah that's not okay. Lazy effort on their part.

I wonder if I can buy this plate seperately from Dell to put on my 2070. Happen to know the part number?

I know the 2080 uses more power, and thus outputs more heat, but I wonder why they didnt put this on the 2070 as well.. I mean, it's a small piece of copper? Probably cost them less than a dollar to make..