*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Dear god please dont remind me.
    I don't want to be reminded of this hellhole.
    At 330W system power draw, the battery drains about 10% in 30 minutes. Only way to stop it is remove the battery and then hack a few EC registers to make the EC think the battery is still connected so it won't throttle the CPU to 800 mhz.

Vasudev, Papusan, Rei Fukai and 3 others like this.
  2. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm thinking of pulling the trigger and it's been a LONG time since I ordered from Dell (an AW Aurora desktop in... 2009?)

Two questions I hope someone can help with:

1. Their configurator is absolute ass and it's changed pricing and components like nine times in the last two days. I plan to upgrade the RAM and SSDs to the products of my choice when they arrive (I've had bad luck mixing RAM in the past, and I will be using a single 970 Pro 2TB Nvme). So, it seems the CHEAPEST way to get the 9900K and RTX 2080 is to buy the base model on the site, keep everything stock, and just upgrade the CPU and GPU. Comes out to $3,699 and seems to trigger the bigger Power supply cord and I'd assume the best heatsinks. Any issue with this?

2. There is a $200off code bringing the price to $3,499. In the past I've had a lot of luck calling and haggling either a free accidental warranty or another 5-10% off. But so far I keep striking out. Has anyone had any luck getting additional discounts, or is there a new trick to it? I know it might be tough on a new model, but back in the day it was pretty easy... AW seems to ALWAYS have a 10% off code once a month.

Vasudev and steberg like this.
  3. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    1. Save yourself some cash and get i7-9700K. The i9-9900K is useless for gaming (it actually performs worse in many cases than the i7-9700K in games). the i7 will have much better thermal headroom too.

2. If you are a student, you can also get that discount (I think all you need is a University Email and or ID)

IXVIXXII, Vasudev and Rei Fukai like this.
  4. GTVEVO

GTVEVO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Long time no post......guys after being screwed by alienware in the past this really seems too good to be true. On the flip side I want it to be true because I have old love for alienware "Before Dell" and I do like the visual design. I am tuned in.

5. mattcube64

Reputations:
    Are we sure the 9700K gets the maximum/fulll bore heat pipes/cooling solution? Even if the 9700K performed better with less, I couldn't get over having an inferior cooling set up with a $3,000+ setup.

raz8020 likes this.
  6. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Good point, this needs confirmation.

They would be confirmed idiots if they gave desktop i7 Ks less cooling.

raz8020 likes this.
  7. Lunatik

Lunatik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The cooling is the same in all models I believe.

8. mattcube64

Reputations:
    I just realized my company offers me the member pricing - which seems similar to student discount.

Right now, Lunar White ($50 extra, so stupid) + 9700K + 2080 + 144 G-Sync = $3,437 before tax after all discounts.

If I could get this down to $3,200 before tax, I'd probably pull the trigger. $3,000 and no question, then and there on the spot. So close but so far...

9. Lunatik

Lunatik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That with win pro? Could knock it down to home then buy a cheap upgrade code online. Just an idea :). I ordered pretty much the same specs except “Dark side of the moon”, 512gb m.2 / 1tb sshd. Will add my own 1tb m.2 later.

10. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was gonna order just the one m.2 but I figured Dell would pull some kind of stunt like in the past that if you don't get a 2.5 they wont include the tray, fixture screws etc. This system may only need a screw but still did not wanna take a chance.