*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Battery boost works silently even if you have enough high power PSU. Ask Falkentyne since he did same thing on his MSI Book

If you force CPU side to equip with 330W and gpu to 180W then its bad. If GPU side can only take 180W like GTX 1080 then its bad. Maybe they are taking into account the Turing arch. efficiency by pairing with 180W PSU.

I think those are older EOL'ed Micron or SK Hynix or Samsung chips left to be cleared off warehouse.
    RAM sticks simply runs based on JEDEC and XMP values. Backtracking to 2400 might mean they are blocking higher 2667MHz aftermarket RAMs in BIOS and force users to use higher CAS. Let's see what crucial site says once A51M comes out.
    At the end of the day, it depends how well firmware takes care of OC and overall system performance since m18x users are inching for a true worthy LGA heir.

Vistar Shook and Rei Fukai like this.
  2. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Wait for few months because you need enough parts stock.

0 days in India, you buy it you live with it until rest of your life. No help for subsequent repairs for the same case example Overheating,Battery,LCD screen bleed etc.. Dell opens their eyes after warranty runs out for more cash.

3. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You use HID warranty anyway.

Also repasting does not void their warranty... simply because the technicians at Dell cant actully tell the difference between their paste and yours. Only LM should be cleaned off, then grey gunk applied before sending to Dell.

I think overall though. Even if you admit to repaste it won't void. I think their statements are confused. Probably thinking delidding and reporting between CPU and IHS

raz8020 and VoodooChild like this.
  4. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Don't admit to anything! Just a paste is enough. 8th gen might need delid or SL qualified chip for best OC and performance.

raz8020 and ThatOldGuy like this.
  5. drek20

drek20 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Will depend on the chip, my 9700k in my desktop runs at 60 degrees under full load but under a 360 aio. Would assume it should run under 80 degrees easily in the 51m if you get a good one. The cooling looks pretty inpressive with those big ass fans and only 1 shared heatpipe. Personally I would avoid the 9900k version though.

And yea, never admit to anything ever lol.

IXVIXXII and Vasudev like this.
  6. Alex555

Alex555 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    on pcgh (german video test : ) the 9900k within 95W they just got 3,6 to 4,2 ghz, and for 4,7ghz they had 145W - so 119W is not much ...
    The more I think about the 51m, the more doubts i have .. :oops:

7. yggdra.omega

yggdra.omega Newbie

Reputations:
    I wish someone had more high resolution video of the thing close up, these quick, short promo shots just aren't doing it for me. It says my order will arrive 19FEB, this is my first AW and I hear they have issues shipping on time so that would be a bummer.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My six core BGA cancer clocks higher than that. But I have to say it has 2 cores, and 4 threads extra. AW should give us the option to disable HT in the bios cause my chip can run alot cooler (and clock higher) if Dell did not TDP lock the ish out AW

Vistar Shook, IXVIXXII and Vasudev like this.
  9. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    All CPUs can have hyperyhreading disabled in the Registry. It's not really disabling it as much as making the load on threaded cores 0%

Or for 350 less just get the i7-9700K which is a much better option in this lapptop

raz8020, drek20, Rei Fukai and 2 others like this.
  10. drek20

drek20 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Its in its final development stage from what I understand so they arn’t even made yet. My order says expected delivery March 1, 2019. My guess is our dates are all placeholders until they actually know.