*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    what i would suggest is ask the tech so stand and watch while you do it yourself. or deal with them privately to let them take the credit while you sort out your own machine. obviously the best way is to make dell ship you the parts and you do it yourself but i can understand that's not always possible.

2. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Forsure. I wish they were more willing to send the parts out and let customers do the repairs. No one will take better care of your machine than yourself.

I'm sure after this last incident they wont have a problem just sending me the part though. At least I hope. In any case, I know this guy will never show up at my door again.

alexnvidia and c69k like this.
  3. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    so generalized that's just wrong. It depends on your settings. If we talk about max OC 5.2Ghz Benches, then yes, at least performance is needed. Otherwise the temps jump to 100 in a second. But if we talk about gaming, then no, performance is not needed. Even silent is pretty usable.

Division 2, silent profile, C states on, Speedstep on, 5ghz Allcore boost:
    [​IMG]

With balanced Profile i can run every game with 4,7ghz and 1900-2000mhz GPU without exceeding 80 degree (BFV) on CPU/GPU. BFV is the most CPU demanding game out there. With 5ghz the i9 consumes 120w+ average with 140w+ peak! Every other game barely hits 100w peak load. And BFV uses AVX. So if BFV has good temps, every other game will run even cooler on CPU side.

BFV ->CPU@4.7ghz - Average ~73 (peak 80-82 before fans spin up)
    BFV ->GPU -> Average ~74 (peak 79 before fans spin up)

every other game:
    55-70 CPU and 70-79 GPU

With slight UC (underclocking) to 4.5ghz my i9 averages ~65 degree in BFV and <60 in other games. All with balanced profile. CPU is delidded (minus 5-8 degree).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    SlickDragon and raz8020 like this.
  4. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i9 9900k @ stock 4,7ghz allcore turbo
    CB R15 ~ 1950-2050
    CB R20 ~ 4750-4900

raz8020 likes this.
  5. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think this varies from hardware to hardware and isn't just "plain wrong" as you suggested. It's always better to be safe than sorry, especially with a bad hardware batch still floating around in the market and a lot of people aren't even doing their own thermal work redone at home.

6. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My i9 9900K is turboing 4.92 GHz stock but immediately thermal throttles - like within 5 seconds. I hope after a solid delid and a major undervolt I'll be able to tame that beast considerably and put out some stellar benchmark numbers.

7. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    it is plain wrong if you generalize it. You have to differentiate the use case, but you sad ,,balanced profile is rubbish, temps are only good with performance fan. Good temps need loud fans,, and that ist not correct ;) proof above. In our german AW forum the majority of owner use balanced profile too, with good temps.

we know that A51m died during idle...so it looks like the problem is not temp related. The Component fails, or not. Thats it.

5ghz should be 1 or 2 core load stock. Allcore load is 4,7ghz. If it boosts to 5ghz allcore you have OC active.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    raz8020 likes this.
  8. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    [/QUOTE]
    What I noticed during 2 days of use is that the balanced profile is a little "lethargic" so to speak in terms of ramping the fans up. My CPU was thermal throttling at 100 degrees and the fans were still crawling until I went in and switched over to Performance mode. I suspect that Dell considers 100 degrees celcius on CPU as "within spec" temperature and fans don't go up to 100% instantaneously as there is thermal throttling which I do not like. AT ALL! I prefer my CPU chilling at least 15-20 degrees below throttle point under load and that's something that so far I could not achieve here even under performance mode. I have my delid tools coming in this weekend and I'll tear that junk solder blob apart from the CPU and possibly grind the dye down by 0.1-0.2 mm and either replace with a copper ihs with Liquid metal or go direct dye if that's still doable. I hope temps will be better than. If not, I'll buy a new 9900K from silicon lottery that has been thermally tested and stable at 5.2 GHz with better temps without water cooling and sell the one that I currently have.

Regarding component failure, the DGFF mosfets fried up because a lot of people were abusing it with furmark and there was no decent thermal pad job done on those severely hot components which ended up in total failure. I am not sure what type of people we have in this forum but generally, if you beat the hell out of one component by giving it mad amounts of power, you are essentially over straining the entire power circuitry and later down the line, something WILL fail and that may or may not be under load conditions. I have played with enough computers in the last 30 years to know this for a fact. You just don't abuse a machine and expect it to work the same unless you are lucky haha!

9. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Me. I love the sound of my M18x. A51m is lacking the low end. I may install a subwoofer like I did for my M18x.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/msi-gt72s-subwoofer-installation-m18xr2.821387/
    That's cute....but 3 times heavier than Area-51m? Doesn't sound like much of a subwoofer to me. Mine weighs 105 lbs (~48kg) and is 1000W RMS.
    [​IMG]

However at the end of the day..my M18xR2 has a "subwoofer" even though it's small and barely powerful compared to my SVS Ultra SB13.

It makes a HUGE difference in the listening experience. I prefer listening to music on my M18xR2 than my Area-51m because of the low end being missing.

I can definitely hear the difference, so it does have a subwoofer imo.

raz8020, zdroj, jclausius and 3 others like this.
  10. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    MSI GT75 Titan has by far what I call THE BEST speakers out there right now! I noticed that there is plenty of room for bigger speakers inside the area 51m. Just wonder why Dell didn't make use of all that space and put in bigger and better speakers instead of these cramped small ones. But let's be honest, I never admired those good MSI speakers after listening to them once on the day when I was testing it after buying new lol. I rocked a headphone always on that thing so speakers on these laptops are a little less needed as far as I am concerned, especially if you are gaming only. But use case can be different for everyone.

P.S., Anyone looking to have loud speakers should check out Anker's bluetooth speaker brick for 20 bucks. That thing can solve your problem without feeling bad about your laptop hahaha