*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    raz8020 and Papusan like this.
  2. SpentaTONofMoolah4k

SpentaTONofMoolah4k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Everything is stock.
    Both power bricks plugged in, fans set to balanced.

Things I changed:
    Nvidia control panel graphic card power management from optimal to adaptive.
    My Control Panel Power Options is set to Custom, with the Intel Graphics Power Plan set to max power & Processing Power Management set to 100% when Plugged in.

I also disabled Prefetch & disabled indexing to speed up my hard drive.

Everything else is untouched.

3. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Easy there cowboy lol! It runs HOT and I am not going to risk blowing it up without making sure that the thermal job is well done. I am not diving into any benchmarks yet. Once I get liquid metal and thermal pads re-done with my own hands and possibly liquid metal on the GPU as well, I'll post some benchmark results here. But that could take a week as some of the goodies needed for the job are still in transit with fedex. Waiting sucks!

VoodooChild likes this.
  4. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The "balanced" fan profile is not good. The fans ramp up WAY slow and it could damage things considerably. I'd suggest that always switch to performance mode when pushing things hard and deal with the fan noise with a head set because you cannot expect good thermals without sacrificing some silent moments with those fans.

5. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has anyone messed around with the Battery Charge Config in the BIOS?

Just wondering what option is the best for optimal power, and for a machine that is only used while plugged in.

The options are Adaptive (default), standard, Express charge, and primarily AC use. It would make sense to use the last one, but I'm not exactly sure what it does.

6. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It controls how the battery charging circuitry operates depending upon your usage patterns. If you keep it plugged into the wall, the last option is what you should go with as it prevents prolonged charging once the battery is full.

7. SacraficeMyGoat

Reputations:
    Alright thank you. Have you tried these options out?

8. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, I personally use the last option as well. It is supposed to give the most longevity to your battery which could otherwise be reduced due to just sitting without use and getting charged all the time.

SlickDragon likes this.
  9. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    long story short, if u want things done right, do it yourself. I never let any of those monkeys touch any of my alienware laptops.

jclausius and S.K like this.
  10. SacraficeMyGoat

Reputations:
    Believe me, I tried. Even before setting up the tech visit, I said "I've had bad experiences with these guys and dont trust them, mainly "guys name!" and said if you're not going to let me do it myself, do not send this guy. They said they would send a senior tech, but yeah.. they sent the lowest of the low.

Maybe they'll listen next time...

Edit: But yeah, I would suggest anyone that needs a repair to ask to have the part sent to you so you can do it yourself. If you're not familiar with it, look at the service manual or ask here for help. This is by far the easiest machine I've had to tear down. Took me like 30 mins max to swap the DGFF out, including cleaning the thermal paste off and reapplying.

alexnvidia likes this.