*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have a fire extinguisher next to my Alienware 51m that I’m going to make white with RGB to match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raz8020, Fire Tiger and c69k like this.
  2. Nyceis

Nyceis Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Its not a bug, its a feature. New dell promotion - matching fire extinguisher included with every 2080 purchase....

3. Alex4seby

Alex4seby Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    We will have oled screens on area51m this year?

4. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What a day... Story/Vent time.

So as you all know my 2070 DGFF went out, I was due to have a tech come out and replace it today.

Little back story, nearly a year ago I purchased a 17 R5, had a few issues with it, nothing too major.

Had a tech come by and do repairs on it 3-4 times. 3-4 times he those repairs up and made the problems worse, they sent out someone else to fix this guys mistakes. This was brought to Dells attention and the contracting company he works for (I filed a complaint.) I asked them multiple times to not send him out ever again. They actually tried sending him out once before after all of this happened and I told him to leave. This is just a short part of the story btw.

Anyways.. I specifically asked Dell not to send this guy out again, I know his name and what not and gave it to them. They assured me they would send a senior technician. Well.. guess who showed up at my door..

Going through all of the stuff I had been through with my 17 R5 and knowing they were likely going to send this guy again, I pulled the machine apart by myself so all he would have to do is insert the DGFF and put it back together.

He walks in and he says I see you already took it apart, I said yeah I did because I have had problems with you breaking my machine in the past.

THEN he has the balls to say "you filed a complaint on me and I got in a lot of trouble," so i said "YES i did for good reason, you completely up numerous repairs on my old machine!" He then blamed me for him up the repairs on my last machine! He got pissed off and said he wasnt doing it and left, but he left the DGFF card with me to replace it (which I asked Dell to do in the first place for this specific reason!)

So anyways I've already contacted Dell about this, they're investigating. On the plus side, I replaced the card and it seems to be working great.

Just wanted to share this to vent, and bring it to more peoples attention how trash these "techs" can be. I know Dell outsources them and they're a contracting company, but they really need to follow through with complaints. I might call the contracting company again to follow up with this, but we'll see.

I know not all techs are this bad, but just be aware some are terrible. Learn about your machine, pull up the service manual as well. Watch everything they do, sit next to them the entire time and if they have questions, answer them. Or if you see them struggling with something, offer to help, they might get offended but em.

I wish Dell were more willing to let capable customers do the repairs, it would save them money in the long run. Customers will always be more cautious and take better care of their machines than anyone else.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2019
    SlickDragon and c69k like this.
  5. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    No

6. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No

7. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The sound from the 51m is very good. Actually better IMO than my 17r4 had

8. LegionWolf

LegionWolf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sounds like they’re out of alpha testing on customers but still coming out of beta with the issues and no official statements.

Canceled my order. :/

Too much to risk... and yes warranty but that gets old FAST

And who knows ... maybe they’ll come out with an OLED version or too far off... ;D

zdroj and SpentaTONofMoolah4k like this.
  9. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That’s crazy lol. Good thing he just left it. I can imagine many people who buy the 51m are capable of replacing themselves, I’m still curious on how they are going to kit together upgrades and sell them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c69k likes this.
  10. SpentaTONofMoolah4k

SpentaTONofMoolah4k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After debloating & cleaning the laptop, I finally ran a Cinebenech benchmark with a low score of 4548.

So a stock $4,000 laptop with a i9 & RTX 2080 won't even run games that a basic Xbox One would run!