*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. mobile96

mobile96 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    here in austria it actually isn't^^ and also gsync is always included as long as you go 9700k or higher

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yeah, I agree. 60Hz screens is silly. They should not even be manufactured any more... garbage. 60Hz should have gone bye-bye around 2015. Minimum ordinary low-budget spec available anywhere today for 1080p should be 120Hz. If you have 120Hz or more, there is no compelling reason to waste your money on silly G-Stink or FreeSlink unless you have some kind of weird fetish for input lag. You certainly shouldn't be expected to pay extra for crappy gimmicks like that. Now that NVIDIA stands to make almost nothing off of it to speak of any more, (due to FreeSync compatibility,) maybe they'll stop supporting it as well. Although, their latest gimmick (ray tracing) is kind of backfiring on them. Wonder if they will stop supporting that, too? First MXM, then SLI, then G-Stink... yup, once AMD gives it up for free, ray tracing won't be important any more. The Green Goblin has got to have their holy cash cow gimmicks to peddle to the gamer kids.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  3. Kuro Kensei

Kuro Kensei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey, a man can dream! Also, for the record, I know for a fact that you used to put your AWs in your freezer with a huge 20lbs copper pipe pressed on top of the CPU die to make us envy those 5Ghz+ clocks and 30C temps! So yeah, I want it to be AT LEAST that cold and fast now, 20 years later!

Vistar Shook and Rei Fukai like this.
  4. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you got from 12.5% to 15% you squeezed an extra 2.5% out of them, and if that extra 2.5% was $300 then the original order was $12,000 ? But if you mean that the $300 off was the *total* discount you got, then the ticket price was a more modest $2,000 and your extra 2.5% only got you $50.00 off.

hmscott likes this.
  5. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I disagree. There are plenty/most people who cannot tell anything over 50Hz, even with peripheral vision (look that one up). But anyone can tell UHD from FHD down to 13" and even smaller (think those high res tablets), and anyone can tell OLED from everything else. Just walk into a large electrical store and look at the TVs on display, the LG OLED screens are miles ahead of the competition, and your ordinary house wife can tell the difference from miles. Look at those tablets with 300+ dpi and (AME)OLED. Look at Apple laptops with Retina displays. Or look at the XPS 15 or AW17 at 4K.

Resolution, colours, brightness.

My son, who is an avid FPS gamer (PubG), and has spent time adjusting his seating position and training in order to shoot opponents accurately and quickly (PubG), has now got my old AW17R5 with 4K panel at 60Hz, and he is not complaining all that much, but is commenting on the unparalleled contrast and clarity of this 4K panel.

Therefore the jump from 60Hz to 120Hz is much less perceptible and relevant to the common folk, than the jump from a low-res TN LCD to a high-res IPS/Retina/(AME)OLED. If you were asking for something to be banned, I'd start at the TN FHD first. Considering FHD was out in electric stores and available to the masses more than 10 years ago, I would say it's high time we gave it up right now on $3,000 laptops.

rickdeckard likes this.
  6. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    You ordered one? :p

Interesting to see my old Titan (X) Pascal + AW13 R3 can hang with a 2080Ti in the amp :p

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13653218

Are those stock GPU scores or OC?

Nice start, let's see what else is changed in the future.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  7. Kuro Kensei

Kuro Kensei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm waiting for these: https://www.blurbusters.com/new-8k-120hz-oled-demoed-by-sel-japan/
    OLED + 120/144hz + 8k
    But for now, between OLED and 120/144hz IPS I would ALWAYS choose the OLED. Can't get enough of it in my AW 13!

8. ArchCel

ArchCel Newbie

Reputations:
    I would beg to differ. On a 27, sure I can see the difference and greatly appreciate having my QHD instead of FHD, but once you fit something to a laptop I really won't notice it. However increase the refreshate to 120 Hz and I instantly notice it, even playing for short amounts of time in certain games below 100 Hz and I start to feel ill due to it simply becoming a "slideshow".

Although I might be able to tell the resolution apart on even a small screen, I wouldn't have any gain from it during actual usage, except for it being harder for the hardware to drive, and if you show my any display that happens to be glossy I will prefer it above all others.

Ideally everyone should get what they desire, and there will clearly be a QHD and probably 4K option at some point, as the market is there.

The only thing that really should die is FHD and below at 60 Hz, atleast in anything that wants to brand itself as productivity or "gaming".

rickdeckard, Vistar Shook and c69k like this.
  9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Its not perceptible if Vsync etc is in place and the target framerate is not met. But I can assure you it is very easy to see the difference between 60hz and 120hz. Even in plain windows the mouse pointer is so much smoorther. It throws me off every time when I go from my external 165hz screen back to my 60hz laptop screen.Games also feel more jerky at 60hz because not only is image smoother, input lag is lower.

raz8020, Ashtrix, TBoneSan and 4 others like this.
  10. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For me, this is news of the century. I wonder, If I had it in my A13 R3 and played games at 1080p as I play now on 1440p OLED, would there be any tangible visual difference except for 120Hz?