*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I quite like Cherry switches but they are kind of big for laptops. Steel Series switches are kind of smaller but still retain that tactile clickiness that makes the key strokes feel nice and enjoyable. I've tried a lot of laptops in the past and as much as I don't like the GT75 Titan (bad thermals, cheap internals etc), I think MSI did get the keyboard right on that thing. I could type on that thing all day and still enjoy it lol.

mason2smart likes this.
  3. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey that's typical alienware M series key! And guess what? I think you can fix it. Take a look at this video. It's very similar, athough the hooks of the metal retainer are a little different, but still you can pry them back on with a tiny screw driver or something.

4. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I've tried the steel series keyboard on the MSI 16L3 and prefer the Area-51m keyboard as best thus far on a laptop with M18x being 2nd.

Doesn't look broken, just popped out. Take your time and look on videos on youtube on how to put it back. If it doesn't work out call Dell support.

I would look at the AW 17 R4/R5 keyboard videos on youtube as the keyboards are very similar.

jclausius likes this.
  5. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yup. that's the same keyboard switch as R4. good luck putting it back. really need a lot of patience, and trial and error. it will never just snap back by pushing it down. hook one side of the hinges first. i cant remember if it's the wider hinge first or the shorter one. if it's not put in right, the key will be angled, not sit flushed with other keys and one side can be lifted.

6. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    but how to remove that white plastic he is playing around with? Mine's like stuck to the key itself

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  8. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey man, how did it run you for? I've ordered through xotic but if Sharafdg is might be more convenient. I'm glad you have this system, which means free support for us. :)
    Keep us updated mate.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

9. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It must be clicked into some plastic clamp of some sort that you'll have to carefully pop to make it go free. Those white clamps are relatively soft plastic so as long as you are prying at a place far from the corners that have those tiny little hinges, it should bend enough to come out nicely. I'd use a small plastic pry tool and a magnifying glass to make sure i'm not breaking anything.

10. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations: