*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I have same part # for my 2080 as well. Wonder if the new ones have a different part #?

First make sure both power supplies are plugged in. Go to AWCC and change the fans to performance mode and try running again.

What's the "new" part numbers you are seeing?

mason2smart likes this.
  2. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Cinebench r15.... Can't find it anywhere? Where are you guys getting it from? I can only find r20....

3. rodarkone

rodarkone Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  4. zdroj

zdroj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    XxAcidSnowxX likes this.
  5. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Got CPU tempos down to 73 during BF gameplay and GPU 68. Think I will ride these settings out for a while. :)

S.K likes this.
  6. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'll be getting my machine in the coming week. After i'm done with direct dye cpu installation and going SSD across all the storage options available in the laptop, i'll update the part details with pictures here along with specs.
    P.S., I was discussing FurMark with HIDevolution engineers and they share the same opinion as myself that FurMark is a simple recipe to kill an otherwise perfectly normal GPU and it WILL kill any GPU out there if run for prolonged duration. If it doesn't kill it, it WILL weaken the power circuitry on the motherboard to an extent that in the future at some point in time, it will go POOF without leaving a clue. This happens because all these circuits are designed keeping in mind REALISTIC gaming loads, and not crazy balls to the wall full day stress tests with merciless overclock on the chip. I killed a liquid cooled 1080ti founders edition with FurMark in early 2018.

mason2smart and jclausius like this.
  7. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    if it's any consolation, dell is not the only company behaving like this. pretty much every company does it. take for example, apple products, expensive as hell for pathetic hardware. is it immune to manufacturing defects? NO. they can't even get basic stuff like keyboard switches right and yet people are pouring money in to buy apple making them one of the most profitable companies in the world. microsoft surface pro? one would think after so many generations perfecting the laptop it will be perfect out of the box. sadly they are still riddled with problems. i can go on and on but we all get the point.

we can't shy away from buying the cool gadgets and techs we love, and product design cycles are getting shorter and shorter due to industry pressure to churn out new products faster than ever, which means something has to give and it's QC most of the time. consumers become the QC and problems get solved slowly down the line, if that product survives its life cycle that long. after all, the next big thing is just beyond the horizon. so i guess living with it is the next best thing?

back to topic, area-51m is truly a really well engineered gaming laptop despite the handful of GPU VRM burn outs. i hardly think this warrants as a deterrent to potential buyers.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2019
  8. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Notebookcheck runs 30 minutes furmark and prime at the same time on every reviewed laptop.

I agree, an intensive game is the best test scenario. Or AIDA 64 with fpu and GPU(s) for testing healthy limits.

9. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Let's not go down that rabbit hole. Macs are a disgrace to laptops. Lousy keyboards, pathetic electronics, blow connector pins instead of fuses, get water damage from the atmospheric moisture, planned obsolescence from IOS updates, thermally unstable and you have to carry a bucket full of dongle nests if you want to be somewhat productive for a short while. Being a former MSI and Acer user, I can safely say that Dell is doing more things right than it's competitors. I do not like MSI's support. AT ALL. I had a GT75 VR Titan Pro last year as a second gaming PC and it's back was so flimsy that I had to buy 3 during my ownership time as they kept cracking hooks every time I pulled it apart, even if using very minimal force in the RIGHT direction. Thermals were NOT impressive despite being such a behemoth of a laptop that it was. The GPU fan started making grinding sounds after a few months of usage and MSI took 3 months to ship just one bloody replacement fan after a hundred email reminders! I ended up selling it to a fanboy to just get rid of it. Before that I had an Acer Predator and it's chassis felt like a boiled potato. What I like about Dell is that they don't compromise on the structural quality of the machines and when something goes wrong, the support is kind enough to help you out promptly. Alienwares are built like tanks and I never had any problems in the last 7 years with them, though despite being a heavy gamer, I never went crazy about death benchmarks. Gaming is not just about pushing your computer hardware within an inch of it's life just to YAY over that extra frame that you squeezed out of it at the cost of longevity unlike most might think today.

mason2smart and alexnvidia like this.
  10. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone know how to get Nvidia Control Panel to show up? I downloaded Geforce Experience and updated the driver, but control panel is nowhere to be found..

Also, im having issues download stuff from the Microsoft store, it just constantly says "starting." Anyone know a fix for this?

I'd appreciate some help very much.