*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    if that's the case there will be a recall by now, but there isn't. and let's not forget there are only a handful of cases as compared to thousands of machines they sold. this hardly qualifies as broken design.

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Because my GPU is a different part number, I'm inclined to think they changed something... Either way it's not up to the end user to "fix" the issue.

mason2smart likes this.
  3. ReaceM

ReaceM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The rumor that the side vents on the RTX 2060 version of the Area 51m are not functional is not true. The side vents work quite well, actually.

judal57, c69k, S.K and 1 other person like this.
  4. rinocom

rinocom Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, Guys
    I was referred over here by ssj92 from another thread, and I'm hoping that you can help.
    I stumbled in to this forum after being frustrated by my new Alienware Area-51m. I had run the 3D-Mark test and scored well below expectations. Adjusting the Alienware CC overclocking really didn't seem to do much, and adjusting the Nvidia settings along online guides were no help. I came here and remembered why I used to love to build systems, instead of ordering them. Checking the other threads and posts, I see you guys killing my 3DM scores out of the box... and not by a little bit either. https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6849262
    I went and downloaded some of the tools mentioned earlier in this thread and really love the MSI Afterburner. It looks easy to understand and use upon reading and watching videos. However, when I ran the Scan my A-51m hard rebooted during phase 3 both times that I tried to run it. I was watching the gages and it didn't seem that it was that hot when it booted.
    I figure that you guys are at the top of your game in this area and maybe you might have an idea what is going on. I've got the i9/rx2080/16G version. So what do you guys think? Thanks!

5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It is not a rumor, in fact a user here got the GTX 2060 version with no side vents and returned it because of this.

You just lucked out. They gave you the wrong chasis, or there is some sort of majic combination that ships you the very basic non vented chasis

6. ReaceM

Reputations:
    Not to be contradictory, but how do you know the guy who had non functional vents did not have a malfunctioning unit? It seems highly unlikely that Dell (who is saying the 2060 version does have functional side vents) would lie about this and I would get a magical unit?

Perhaps the first units that shipped did not have working side vents, but now 2060 units being shipped do? Maybe Dell got the memo?

7. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    what Heatsink do you have? can you make photos?

8. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I believe they're not of the same rating. The new ones have a higher power and thermal rating.

9. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The vents were physically absent. The heat sink also has no fins on the sides.

Dell is the one saying that they ship different versions for the GTX 2060 base model.

"Dual-Intake, Dual-Exhaust Airflow Design: The Area-51m chassis prioritizes performance with a dual fan design that pulls in cool air from the bottom and top vents, while exhaling exhaust out the rear and side vents for optimal core component cooling. (The Intel® Core™ i7-8700 with NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 configuration does not have a side-exhaust)"

raz8020, rinocom, jclausius and 2 others like this.
  10. ReaceM

Reputations:
    I'm at work, and I haven't worked up the courage to take off the "rib cage", but the heat pipes and parts that are visible look exactly like the ones from the Dave's Corner video. His is a 2070, I believe. I'll take a photo after work.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019