*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    With the new series of mosfets, I'm sure this isn't going to be a problem. And somebody in the designers team will be getting fired.

mason2smart likes this.
  2. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If the problem continue to show after repair something like one day (in my case) or in two weeks (also in my case) people will send it back right after this happens, let's hope they get tired of having their laptop back and fix the bad parts ... no ?

Ok i'm a lil bit credulous on this one...

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Only one of the two power connectors is on this side of MB. The second on the oppsite side of MB. But it looks like it's a double problem. Both MB power delivery and the DGFF graphics. One fix doesn't fix the other.
    upload_2019-4-10_14-15-19.png

raz8020, zdroj, jclausius and 2 others like this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If they replace the faulty MOSFETs with same rated MOSFETs from different company the issue won't get solved, they might need to pick up the MOSFETs from their desktop lineup and solder it there for further testing.
    Look at @alexnvidia signature, he used to have 17r4 which had uneven heatsink and similar GPU issues and he switched back to old AW.

jclausius and alexnvidia like this.
  5. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i never got to resolve my uneven heatsink cpu temperature difference issue, but i did get my GTX1080 180W stuttering issue resolved completely. i actually sold my R4 in anticipation of area-51m only to get screwed by dell for not releasing it in my country.

propeldragon, etern4l and Vasudev like this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    They keep pushing machines with more flaws for end users to fix. If it was costing 2000$ with 512GB SSD+32GB RAM+QHD IPS panel then users will forget the flaws and tweak it. Now, 5000$+ PC with inferior specs and disaster or calamity causing PCs that fails midway during work/gaming should never exist.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    raz8020, Falkentyne, c69k and 2 others like this.
  7. alexnvidia

Reputations:
    i disagree with you. if you look at things that way, then yes, it's non of our business as a consumer. however, by having this mentality, you will be going back and forth with lots of time wasted because you simply dont care what's causing the problem. you can let them fix your problem with parts replacement, send it in etc, but in the end, it's your downtime, your feelings hurt, your disappointment. if you are a free person who has nothing better to do than to go back and forth with dell, then by all means. i'm definately not that free.

i for one, always try to take things into my own hands whenever possible. As the saying goes, if you want it done right, do it yourself. the fix could be as simple as making sure the thermal pads are in proper contact with the GPU VRM, or changing the pads to a better high performance ones before turturing it with furmark. there are no thermal sensors on VRMs so even if your GPU and CPU never overheat, it doesnt mean the supporting components arent.

LoganWade, c69k and S.K like this.
  8. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    On the Prema BIOS thread (somewhere in this forum), there's a big warning about this tool. Do *NOT* use Furmark!

raz8020, jclausius, Vasudev and 3 others like this.
  9. alexnvidia

Reputations:
    i agree. as a consumer paying so much we should expect perfectly engineered machine. however, the reality of today's world is a total opposite. things are not built to last as they once were.

mason2smart, LoganWade and Vasudev like this.
  10. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Sure it would be cool to know what is going on, but it's not going to change anything. Unless you can redesign the power circuitry and have it built, you're not going to be able to solve this issue. Sure if it was a simple temp issue you could resolve it, but you're not going to fix a broken design with thermal pads.

Johnksss, raz8020, Dannemand and 6 others like this.