*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    They know they failed on many level with their past product? Not what Unboxed said. Aw 15 with RTX 2080 is from todays model lineup.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...50h-coffee-lake.810891/page-127#post-10889879

You said you're afraid of mealtdown due temp around 100C. Not from the Dells engineering teams aspect. 100C is fine for the Coffee-lake models. I can't see Dells engineers will have another meaning about the coffee lake refresh desktop models.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.dell.com/support/articl...ing-a-high-temperature-overheat-issue?lang=en

Ashtrix, jclausius, j95 and 3 others like this.
  2. GizmoSlip

GizmoSlip Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It was probably higher than 100C, but I don't think the temp readouts go higher than 100C. Either way, the fan profiles need work because throttling does happen at 100C xD

SlickDragon, raz8020 and Papusan like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I'm sure Dells engineers know very well 9th gen processors is able to do up to 115C. Maybe we will see raised throttling point in coming bios updates? Not a good fix but better than throttling at 100C xD. At least you get the performance you paid for:vbbiggrin: https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Global/multimedia/2/file/525/946.pdf

Remember Azor said fan noise should be lower once they updated firmware. Due complaints.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Ashtrix and j95 like this.
  4. Dagr

Dagr Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You pretty much need to be on performance fan mode for intensive games... My undervolted 9700k cpu really runs hot otherwise. Full fan is even better if you have headphones and nobody around to notice the helicopter taking off. :)

Some games like fallout 4 don't seem to run as hot, I can play that one in balanced. Anthem runs very hot though as an example.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

5. Dagr

Dagr Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Also, speaking of fallout 4... It pisses me off that we can't use 144hz. I know you can enable global vsync, but the havoc engine goes nuts. Super mega speed lock picking and ultra fast combat lol.

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Funny how many people that never owned one used to hate on the Clevo P870 and make silly comments to the effect that they had crappy cooling, LOL. Not any worse (in fact better it seems) than the Area 51m cooling. And, with fewer firmware cancer performance-capping limitations than Alienware's latest and greatest.

7. Dagr

Dagr Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I haven't had one so I can't speak to the clevo. I'm pretty happy with the cooling on my 9700k/2070 51m. It's a TON better than the other rtx laptops I've tried and returned (asus strix 2070, msi raider 2070). The fan profile switching is a little annoying but you can see that up per game at least.

8. Adam181

Adam181 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I also got a free 2tb external hdd on my first order due to the delay. I just asked in online chat for compensation for the delay and they offered that. After my system blew up and only lasted a day they gave me a further discount on the second system, added in 1yr free accidental damage protection and Foxit PDF software free too.

hmscott and SlickDragon like this.
  9. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    • Waiting on 4K/120 (praying it's OLED)
    • That may push things towards Fall and the chipset/cpu refreshes from Intel - have to see on that (9900K isn't a bad chip)
      • Wonder if any of you have considered the Intel GPU free CPU's as a way to reduce temps if you are really only using the Nv GPU
    • Pci-e 4.0 would happen first to desktop chipsets, something to consider
      • And this "should" improve the performance of 4 channels going to the AW Amplifier if the wiring stays the same
    • Intel AX200 Wi-Fi on the wish list also but wouldn't hold back an order for a $35 card I can update myself
      • And frankly to be positive I got that "killer" stuff out of the system I'd probably update the Wifi to Intel and reset Win 10 (fresh install option) just to keep it clean
    • Has anyone actually tested that 2.5G connection? Not that there are many switches out there which can manage that connection
    • HDMI 2.1 would have been nice but Dell can only make what the GPU maker delivers. That will take another generation I think.

SlickDragon and Papusan like this.
  10. Amroth

Amroth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You'll be waiting and praying a long time then- might want to consider being a monk ;)

hmscott and Mr. Fox like this.