*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. corona2172

corona2172 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I still find it very strange that I can run the 2080 using Microsoft Basic Display Adapter as the driver, even with the onboard gpu turned off, but the second I install nvidia drivers, the laptop screen shuts off. It would seem to point to a driver issue, but even a 100% clean Windows 10 installation did nothing to help it, as it still shuts off once nvidia drivers are introduced. It really is maddening.

2. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've seen those exact same symptoms when a gpu goes bad.... machine only works with Microsoft Basic Display Adapter as soon as you add the manufacturer driver and it attempts to utilize the GPU to its fullest extent and it ****s the bed. Hate to say it bro but your RTX needs to be replaced :(

3. corona2172

corona2172 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So you don't think it had anything to do with it happening an hour or so after the vbios update? Or that rolling that back to 190w won't help? …...Man.... I'm stationed in Afghanistan right now, and I have no idea how to go about simply ordering a new GPU from Dell... I'm sure they wouldn't just let me order that one part and send it to me. I'm still going to try the rollback, as at this point it seems damage is done regardless. I just don't really know how to rollback using a .rom . I'm looking at nvflash now to try to roll back to the 190w one.

4. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No harm in attempting a roll back if it allows you, honestly though if the 200w vbios was the culprit of the recent burn outs I think they would have updated by now.... Plus I remember someone asking Frank Azor directly on Twitter if that's whats causing the burn outs and he says "no" (take that with a grain of salt)... I think if you chat with Dell support I highly doubt tech support will ship to Afghanistan.... Might have the to wait to get home... Friggin sucks I can only imagine.

5. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @corona2172

When using Microsoft Basic Display Driver, does it allow you to put (game) load on the Nvidia? Because if yes, then I doubt that this is a hardware issue.

6. Gorebag

Gorebag Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nice, does it depend on region or just pure, random luck?

7. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That I am actually not sure of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. corona2172

corona2172 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, I just ran Rimworld which, as you might imagine, ran decently as it is minimal on gpu demand. I then tried to run ELEX. It runs for sure, but once in the actual game world it is laggy to the point of unplayability. Doesnt look terrible though. The graphics look decent, but the second you move the mouse it stutters and lags. However, the card does not cut off or go black screen.

c69k likes this.
  9. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I’m shocked to see this how busy this thread is compared to the M15.

I would have figured this laptop to be extremely niche.

Is this laptop really good?

10. IXVIXXII

IXVIXXII Notebook Consultant

Reputations: