*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Nyceis

Nyceis Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, please. Seriously considering cancelling my order from HID until this is resolved if this is accurate. Would like to see the DM if you don't mind terribly. Thanks!

2. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Everyone needs to slow down with the reactions for a bit. One unverified message from twitter is not really something we can grab pitchforks for.

Lets hope we hear something official soon. Knowing Dell/Alienware, we will receive terrible communication and have to find details ourselves. My order with XoticPC is still scheduled for end of next week. I just returned the Area-51m I had with Dell, which functioned great for the month I had it.

tobyg and Fire Tiger like this.
  3. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    screenshot or it didn't happen

hmscott likes this.
  4. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    I thought you knew already. @Rocktaze was all over that 30K. LOL

Yes, @Rocktaze was first to hit 30K+. I had assumed you knew that already with trying to reach 30K. Ergo my comment about 29.3K being a far stretch from 30K. :) Heck, even Frank acknowledged his score on twitter.

Oh, it's a hardware problem, that's pretty obvious. And I have yet to see pictures of the motherboard actually being bad, but a faulty video card will make a perfectly good motherboard look bad.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    SlickDragon, raz8020, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  5. Dagr

Dagr Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Do you have to get the 1.3.2 bios directly from the dell site? It's not being detected using either of the dell updaters (aw update or support assist). Just curious... on 1.3.1 atm.

EDIT: I did just move up to 1.3.2 manually... but was just curious.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  6. Halewafa

Halewafa Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've just been doing them manually, wasn't sure if people used the support assist program or not

Dagr likes this.
  7. Halewafa

Halewafa Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just curious, when you were OCing the CPU to 5ghz with Alienware CC and you said it wasn't going past 4.9, did HWinfo show it as 4.9 or 4.990? I have mine OC'd to 5ghz with Alienware CC and its showing 4.990, I assume that could count as 5ghz, right?

8. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    correct

Halewafa likes this.
  9. Ted@HIDevolution

Ted@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Upon inspection, we found a burned MOSFET on the GPU. Below are photos showing the location in relation to the DGFF RTX 2080 card.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The photo of the GPU underside heatsink below shows the thermal pad was making good contact with the MOSFETs.

[​IMG]

At time of shipping, the system was on BIOS version 1.3.0 and 200W RTX 2080 vBIOS.

We hold the position that there is nothing we could have done better to prevent this issue from happening. We have documented and reported this to our senior contact at Dell. We are awaiting their response as to how they are going to fix this issue. Apparently, from our findings, this has the potential of affecting all Alienware Area-51M in the field until they resolve it.

10. Rocktaze

Rocktaze Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Woah ... you're making me look bad right here.
    Yes it was nice to reach 30k graphics score since not everybody was/is able to do so and at the time i had the highest graphic score for all RTX 2080 laptop so it was definitely nice to hit.

I believe i still have the best Firestrike score for 9700k/2080 by a little bit over 1,300 points i'm actually looking foward for some challenges.