*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. IXVIXXII

IXVIXXII Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    BTW, shouldn't the Tobii eyetracking give a Division 2 key ?

2. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ...and they still blow up…. so save your money and order @ dell would be my consequence. Repaste is done in 30mins on your own...

3. IXVIXXII

IXVIXXII Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Agreed. But custom taxes when you order from Europe are insanely high. In the end, if you add the shipping cost, it's not wortth it IMO, I cannot afford it. Plus you get a QWERTY keyboard.

raz8020, Vasudev and alexnvidia like this.
  4. AllPowerfulArcadia

AllPowerfulArcadia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This^

That is not even including sales tax for United States customers....there is no way paying 800+ extra for a laptop that does “work” out the box is worth the premium, 90% of the users here are somewhat enthusiasts and paying 15-50 bucks in materials for something that takes an hour or two is do is ridiculous. And there is someone here that just had theirs blow up WITH the extra service from HID. (It’s Dells fault of course)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Expje87

Expje87 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You get it when you register the tobii tracker at the site.

That said, i still haven’t been able to get it working with games. I tried to reinstall everything but now even the experience center can’t find it anymore.

I’m glad with my thermals, stock i’m never going above 75degrees on the gpu and the cpu does not get above 75degrees while gaming on performance mode. I’m itching to overclock it to see how far i can go but i’m only gaming soo i’m fine with how it performs.

Now to get the tobii working

IXVIXXII likes this.
  6. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    All this talk about HID vs Dell, but what about something like XoticPC? They recently increased their price (still less than Dell before discount and no tax unless you are in Nebraska), but before that had quite a huge discount in comparison with Dell. On top of that, you supposedly get the same QC and treatment as HID. I placed an order with XoticPC and gave them a call, seemed like great people and easy to talk to. I don't have that unit in my hands yet, but I expect good things.

So hopefully, ordering with XoticPC would be all the advantages of HID, with comparable prices (or even less than) to Dell. I'm not trying to shill and I have no feedback on the quality of product they provide, but these were my thoughts when ordering from them. Hopefully I receive my unit from them soon, as I initiated a return on my Dell unit. My order comparison is in the order thread.

mason2smart, DrewN and alexnvidia like this.
  7. Dragonacc

Dragonacc Newbie

Reputations:
    I haven't bought anything from Xotic in several years, but my experiences in the past were always good.

mason2smart likes this.
  8. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    so take your chances then and play the Russian roulette. No one is forcing you to buy from them.

If all the reports of failure, overheating, burned systems are not enough to make you wanna pay more for a quality machine, then I have nothing to say to you.

To me personally, I understand your point, it is more expensive especially if you live in Europe. Heck I live in Dubai too and pay a fortune for shipping and taxes. But I just consider it s that' the price of the laptop in total, that's how it is. I don't sit and think oh wait, the laptop is like 4000 USD, then I add 500 USD for shipping and taxes and HIDevolution's cooling mods and quality, no that's a lot of extra money! No, I don't think that way. But to each his own, you get what you pay for.

IXVIXXII likes this.
  9. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Then get it from Dell and be another *number* of burned systems or people who suffer from this overheating issue, or thta backlight bleeding issue, or this flimsy touchpad issue.

Dell's quality control is non existent even though they have nice machines and specs.

10. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You know that at least 1 a51m from HID already blew up?