*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. area51m

area51m Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    guys whats the best way to clone my os drive / image it for retrieval at a later date, i want a back up of it before i start installing new stuff, laptop arrived and powers up so far so good.

claimed my div 2 key, but dont wanna do much else until i make a image of my os drive for back up purposes

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Dell blocks Linux installation on few early revisions and latest update usually has no blocks. Even adding ACPI_OSI workarounds Dell consumer PCs boot to black screen or have kernel panics these days(I haven't seen a kernel panic ever in my 5-6 yrs of Linux usage)
    I think W8.1 is already hijacked to show or install Win 10 once you connect it to the internet!

Use Macrium reflect to do a complete imaging of your Dell OS.

ErikO, jclausius and tobyg like this.
  3. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Try Macrium Reflect.

Or you can use the Windows in-built backup utility, now designated as "Backup and restore (Windows 7)".

4. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sounds plausible. However, consider that Dell takes Linux support quite seriously.

You may also try to use this ACPI_OSI string https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10283727/ in the patch therein, as its' already merged into all recent kernels.

jclausius, Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    fwupdmgr and other firmware updation will work. Thunderbolt 3 on skylake isn't even detected anymore but on Linux its detected.

6. IXVIXXII

IXVIXXII Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys !
    Got mine yesterday (9900 / 2080). So far so good : Swapped RAM & SSD, Win10 clean install in proper AHCI mode on my 970 EVO. Everything works fine. But I think my 2080 is underperforming a bit : I only get 20k graphic score in firestrike. I'm stock but with the new VBIOS. Perf mode activated, full power in NVidia control panel too. OC via BIOS @5.0GHz for CPU (24K physics score).

What do you think ? Is it normal or was I expecting too much ?

Thanks

7. BrokenNinja

BrokenNinja Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So after playing with this laptop for awhile and always using both 330w + 180w power adapters, This F'n laptop keep showing me from Alienware command center notification that a "Undersized AC adapter has been detected" With little brief warning how it can slow the speeds of the laptop down. Please tell me some one has had this issue and how did you make it go away. This only happened after a few updates that came out yesterday.

The warning goes off maybe after 3-5 mins

8. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You should be getting about 28k in firestrike. Do you have both adapters plugged in? Have you adjusted your power options?

9. Expje87

Expje87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can disable this warning in the bios

10. IXVIXXII

IXVIXXII Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes : 510W, I ckecked in BIOS. Power options are maxed out. I don't understand...