*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Desertf0x9

Desertf0x9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wish dell would boost up the TDP for the 2060 and 2070. If they could get them performing similar to the desktop variants they would have a serious winner and probably better thermals. We should petition them to bring the 200 TDP to also the 2060 and 2070.

Has anyone actually gotten a 2060 model?

SlickDragon and SacraficeMyGoat like this.
  2. garyfl

garyfl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine had zero charge, also does the rainbow on boot. (Was a light blue when in windows though)

3. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I have my 970 pro that I took out from my burned Area 51M right.
    The new system I will be getting is identical spec wise as to the one I sent back.

So normally I should be able to put back in the 970 pro, re-activate windows 10, and continue exactly from where I left off right?

Rocktaze and hmoodie like this.
  4. hadi7fold

hadi7fold Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did they offer you anything compensating the issue ?

5. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nothing. Will just be getting a brand new machine that is the exact same as the one I ordered. So yeah.
    The new order was just approved. I hope it just won't take too long for me to get my new laptop :(

6. euphoric28

euphoric28 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    does anyone know what thickness thermal pad I should be using for around the cpu. I don't want to take mine apart again to measure because if I do I know I won't be using my 51m until I get new pads for it.

c69k likes this.
  7. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There are two ways to look at things. While i dont doubt clevo has the upper hand when it comes to CPU tweaking, cpu OC, various bios tweaks, Area-51m WINS hands down when it comes to GPU prowess. and since this is a gaming laptop, having the MOST powerful GPU is my weapon of choice any given day when playing games. No amount of clevo cpu tweaks can overcome the performance of area-51m GPU power.

Quoted from notebookcheck:

"Real-world gaming performance is still essentially identical to a desktop RTX 2080 despite what the synthetic benchmarks above indicate. Running Metro Exodus on maximum settings, for example, is a few frames faster than on our reference desktop. Performance is about 30 to 35 percent faster than a regular GTX 1080 or 40 to 45 percent faster than a regular desktop RTX 2060."

Out of the box, It's even faster than dekstop RTX2080, beating out a respectable MSI gaming X trio 2080 factory OC desktop card.

So yeah, from gaming perspective, i totally agree with the notebookcheck. Area-51m is the clevo killer

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    SlickDragon and captn.ko like this.
  8. Adam181

Adam181 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I have only had my 51M for 1 day and this morning after leaving it for a while I came back and it was in sleep mode and I couldn't wake it from sleep by doing anything. I ended up just holding down the power button until it turned off and now when I boot it back up there is no display at all and it just makes these loud beeps? Is my GPU fried?

9. djcgeez2189

djcgeez2189 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i came here just to see how Mr. Fox is doing since its been sooooooooooooo long since we had a REAL laptop back in the alien stable !

raz8020 and Cass-Olé like this.
  10. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    if your nose is up to it, do a smell test. haha.. joking aside, the only way to know for sure is to disassemble it and check.

raz8020 and Darkhan like this.