*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. nyxgraywolf

nyxgraywolf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hum.. As far as mine goes the label was created today to ship out. I wonder what's going to happen. Don't really want to have it with the issue and deal with the headache after. Rather have it fixed from the factory. Ordered on the 7th.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    craigery81 and zdroj like this.
  2. zdroj

zdroj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Right...and to think I just went to my mailbox and found a 17% coupon code. I can order the base config right now, Dark Side, upgrade to a 9900K, RTX2080, and 144/Tobii/Gsync screen, all for under $2970 before taxes...I have the 32GB DDR4 and 1TB NVMes in reserve already...

...NOT YET DELL!! I need to see more from you on these overheating/failure issues. I've written a lot about this in some earlier posts...AND I AIN'T BLOWING SMOKE! ;)

craigery81 and propeldragon like this.
  3. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    The shortage is for the 9900K CPU. As for how do I know, I'm the Ultra Male [​IMG]

[​IMG]

steberg likes this.
  4. turbo87

turbo87 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am in the same boat. Just got the 17% coupon in the mail, but will wait to see how they fix/respond to the heating/burn out issue. I am actually in no hurry to purchase right now anyway. Might make sense to wait it out for a while

5. craigery81

craigery81 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just spoke to a customer care rep on the phone. I ordered the Lunar White 2070 version on 3/13/19. She said my order is in final stages of production and will be shipped March 24th and delivered to me on March 26th.

She mentioned a parts shortage (I'm assuming the lunar screens). No mention of a quality control delay or anything regarding what has been happening.

I'm assuming it only affects certain models. I have yet to see any of the 51ms with 2070 or 2060 GPUs reporting the failures. Not saying there isnt any but just I havent seen them. I have a 3 year warranty on this thing and will likely upgrade it to 5. Peace of mind right?

6. Aradhakr84

Aradhakr84 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah it seems to affect rtx 2080 models. I was so close to ordering 2070 but decided to get 2080 at the last moment. Its only been a day since I got it but so far so good. I decided to get the 3 Year Premium support plus with accidental damage which turned out to be the right thing for this laptop

craigery81 and zdroj like this.
  7. craigery81

Reputations:
    I'll tinker with mine when I get it. If I like it, I think I'll return it and upgrade to the 2080 version with 5 year warranty (and hopefully by then the problems will be sorted out).

I am in no hurry to get this laptop as my AW 15 R1 is still going strong to this day after 4 years (if its plugged in lol). That 970m chip has been amazing.

This laptop is a 5 year investment to me.

Aradhakr84 likes this.
  8. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Buy it and return it if you're not happy. Dell has the best and easiest 30 day return window that I've dealt with (at least in the States).

toughasnails likes this.
  9. zdroj

zdroj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OMG...a 5 year warranty? I just looked at the cost of that...outrageous! Many have argued in the past that extended warranties are typically a rip-off/bad investment.

When I bought my M6600 years ago, it came with 3 years pro support...and I got the laptop for under $1900!

All that being said, I did need to get the motherboard replaced about 6 months before the warranty ran out...

10. craigery81

Reputations:

Well I usually just get thr basic 1 year that comes with it and wing it. But this one is over $3k USD, first of its lineup, new tech, and has already been having reported failures. I currently have a 3 year warranty with accidental coverage. It may be enough sure but most of my laptops have had issues after 3 years tbh.