*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. faultcurrent42

faultcurrent42 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I reordered my original recipe 51m after it became extra crispy. I ordered on 3/18 with an estimated arrival date of 3/27. This morning I got an email that my order had been canceled. I just called and reordered and delivery is 4/26. I could not get any information as to why the delivery date had jumped out so much. I’m trying to stay positive and hoping that they are looking at the MOBO issue and attempting a fix.

I did see that others reported a delay on screen shipments. I’m really interested if anyone else has seen a huge jump in lead time?

I’m in the United States if anyone cares about the order region.

hadi7fold likes this.
  2. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    We are talking about a laptop right? Cause it sure sounds like you are conflating a tragedy in which people died to buying a laptop with a warranty and there is a chance it might go pop and hurt no one? Is anyone taking away your ability to choose? Don't buy the laptop or do buy the laptop. It's not an emotional thing man. Evaluate finances and make a decision. Look at failure rates and make a choice. What's hard about that. You don't have to be an Alienware fanboy to be annoyed when someone makes a post stating they canceled an order or are thinking about canceling. It's useless information. They aren't even asking a question.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2019
    electrosoft and _deadbydawn_ like this.
  3. Gorebag

Gorebag Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don’t think it will be, unfortunately. Frank has said they’re waiting for narrow border LCDs for the 51m, which is why 120hz/QHD comes to AW17 first. Oled is not LCD? That’s a legitimate question, not a douchy hypothetical question :)

4. Halewafa

Halewafa Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Finally got my 51m today, exactly a month since my original order. 9700k/2080/16gb/256 NVMe. Unfortunately I’m unable to do much with it since my parents flew in last night for the week to help me paint and build a new deck... feel bad playing on the new toy when they’re working, lol.

Initial benchmark looked prettty good, but a little disappointed on the overclocking on my laptop, seems to crash pretty easy. Need to mess around with it a bit more, but it was crashing with stock CPU and a 150/150 OC on the GPU. I was going to update the BIOS, but looks like we might be getting a new one in a week anyways.

Division 2 was super easy to get, thanks for the info in this thread on obtaining the key! Hoping we get the other games as well!

Sherif_k, alaskajoel and EepoSaurus like this.
  5. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, some of these people are owners (to be) and they take (their laptop) criticism personally. To counterbalance them, there are also a handful of Dell haters (and not owners) that will take every opportunity to slag off Alienwares, some in a crude, and some, in a more polished and eloquent manner. And with the crap QC and seemingly idiotic decisions, Dell makes their job very easy indeed.

EepoSaurus and c69k like this.
  6. FrankieFrank

FrankieFrank Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What motherboard issue? There isn’t a official statement from Dell/Alienware.

Stop spreading panic when nothing is confirmed yet.

7. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Let's keep the topic on track here, this is a not a discussion of fanboyism or Boeing airplanes or whatever. Also lets stay away from personal attacks or I can hand out some vacation time to help with personal reflection. Everyone has an opinion and you're not always going to agree with someone, but being cordial and professional is always a good thing...

8. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you believe that 1000s of owners have come to the forums to detail their misadventures? To me it is clearly, and once again, a marginal design, which needed just a little push to topple over. A few extra watts and it's fireworks time. A few watts less and users have reported burned fingers.

EepoSaurus likes this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Only a few toasted MB and at least one graphics.

Of course you won’t get that type info. Would you as salesman from any manufacturers post such info whitch could lower the sales? This is business as usual.

raz8020, Kormi, steberg and 2 others like this.
  10. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Speaking rationally we don't have enough information. I don't know how many have been sold but Dell is a large global company. It isn't outrageous to believe that they could or have sold thousands. That being said I doubt they all come here to pow wow.

We don't know that it is a marginal design because the people whose laptops blew haven't posted up numbers that I've seen. There are guys doing 30k plus graphic scores with 9900ks in their systems and they are still golden. The numbers are still too low to sharpen pitchforks. That being said we should all be alarmed. I am. It just may be a fluke or it could be something more. No one should stick their head in the sand but a wait and see approach is prudent don't you think?