*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. cope123abc

cope123abc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/alienware-area-51m

FULL REVIEW + Benchmarks !!!

the laptop continued its commanding performance on our synthetic benchmarks, achieving 92 fps on Rise of the Tomb Raider, toppling the 63-fps premium gaming laptop average. Even the MSI Titan with its own RTX 2080 was no match at 76 fps. Equipped with GTX 1080 GPUs, the Aorus X9 and Origin PCEon 17-X notched 73 and 69 respectively.

When we ran the Hitman test, the Area-51m maintained its lead with 143 fps. It edged out the Titan (140 fps) while blowing past the Eon 17-X and X9, which tied the 96-fps average.

The Area-51m achieved 105 fps on the Grand Theft Auto V benchmark, surpassing the 75-fps category average. The Titan remained in second place with 91 fps, while the X9 (86 fps) and Eon 17-X (55 fps) settled into third and fourth.

On the Middle-Earth: Shadow of War test, the Area-51m produced 132 fps, topping the Titan (112 fps), X9 (99 fps) and the category average (86 fps).

As far as virtual reality, feel free to whip out those Oculus Rifts and HTC Vives. The Area-51m cruised through the SteamVR performance test, maxing it out at 11.

I was surprised to learn that the Area-51m comes with an integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630 GPU. When you're not gaming or doing some other GPU-intensive task, Nvidia's Optimus technology kicks in and switches to this lesser graphics chip.

3d Mark Firestrike
    Alienware Area-51m - 23212

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Spongy doesnt automatically mean they can be compressed deep enough. But I can only speak about the pads they used on the 15R3/17R4 because I tested thermal pads on these heatsinks. The old versions had the thicker white soft pads, but those where worse than the 0.2mm harder but thin pads.

All pads that I saw from Dell except the white soft pads had the cloth mesh inside which isnt great.

Another problem is that one of the manufacturers of heatsinks for Dell, sometimes do not remove properly the plastic sheets between the heatsink and thermal pads. Already experienced this in 3 machines myself and read some complaints about this from other users. Mostly of the GPU VRM pads.

c69k likes this.
  3. yggdra.omega

yggdra.omega Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    This review lost all credibility for me when she neglected to mention a single negative thing other than price; she comes across as just excited a company sent her a laptop to review. She also said, "The refreshed Alienware Command Center continues to impress." That's enough for me, hahaha.

Papusan, Rei Fukai and Fire Tiger like this.
  4. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There didn't seem to be mention of temps of the CPU/GPU only how hot the actual laptop got in certain areas. Unless I missed it.

5. cope123abc

Reputations:
    Heat
    For such a large laptop, the Area-51m stayed pretty cool all things considered. That's due to the company's Alienware Cryo-Tech v2.0 system that uses a mix of fans, clever design and components to keep the laptop from overheating.

[​IMG]

Towards the bottom of the laptop is a large cluster of honeycombs hiding several fire-resistant, liquid-crystal polymer high voltage fans. The fans bring in air through the bottom and expel the resulting hot air along the sides and the back of the notebook, away from where your hands usually reside. In addition to the fans, the Area-51m has a whopping 8 heat pipes and several copper fin stacks to assist with heat dissipation.

So I wasn't too surprised at the relatively cool temps after spending 15 minutes punching through the enemy line in Battlefield V. The touchpad measured 84 degrees Fahrenheit while the center and undercarriage rose to 102 and 106 degrees, respectively. It's several degrees above our 95-degree comfort threshold, but compared to other laptops in this weight class, it's downright chilly. And despite playing a fairly-taxing game, I could barely hear the fans.

After a brief cooldown period, we reran our heat test, only this time with a 15-minute HD video. This time when we measured the touchpad, middle and bottom hit temperatures of 84, 86 and 84 degrees.

6. cope123abc

Reputations:
    I agree - just throwing the first one out there i could find that's all

yggdra.omega likes this.
  7. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    c69k, raz8020, Darkhan and 1 other person like this.
  8. yggdra.omega

yggdra.omega Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Darkhan likes this.
  9. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No doubt I'm still missing it but where does it mention the specific CPU and GPU temps during the tests? I can only see touch pad and udnercarriage etc.

yggdra.omega likes this.
  10. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No mention of temps, what a bunch of boneheads. One of the most important aspects and they simply mention external heat. Urgh