*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Richard Bortz

Richard Bortz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think im the unlucky 6? My area 51m just died. I was browsing the web and suddenly it shut down. Pulled everything out, put it back in - nothing. I then started sniffing and I noticed some burning smell on the right backside outtakes/vents. Not next to the PSU connector, otherside. This sucks:( My speccs 9700k 2080 32g

2. craigery81

craigery81 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Holy crap 6 in 1 week. Wtf is going on Alienware!?

raz8020 and propeldragon like this.
  3. Adam Reynolds

Adam Reynolds Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm in the same boat. Should have done a but more research. I bought the 2070 thinking that if the are 51m could handle a 2080, a 2070 would be close to its desktop equivalent. I know the 2070 only comes with the 180w and 240w power adapters. Does anyone know whether there is enough left from that currently to increase the TDP to the 2070 even if they wanted? Just tryna get a sense of how likely they are to increase the TDP for the 2070. Still have time to cancel my order.

4. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Woah, holy...

I never subscribe to the "crazy problem-gate" topics, typically. But with iPhones and MacBooks and Galaxy Notes, the scale of which things are released is so big, it's easy to shrug off.

But no doubt, the Area 51m is super niche, and the community posting about them either here or on Reddit is even more narrow... and yet, we're looking at six failures of similar situations in less than a month. SUPER concerning. Especially considering how unique this machine is vs. most everything else AW has put out the last several years.

Can you give us any more details on your machine?

How long have you had it?
    What's the longest you've played a game, or benchmarked, in one sitting?
    Were both power adapters plugged in at time of failure?
    Was/Is it overclocked?
    Any modifications/custom thermal paste?

Sorry man - really sucks! Please let us know what Dell tells you. I'd definitely recommend tweeting Frank.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2019
  5. craigery81

craigery81 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Right now there are some GREAT deals on the AW 17R5 with the 1070 and 1080 cards (which can beat the new RTX 2060 and 2070 max q cards). I'm considering canceling my 51m and go with this instead. Worth the switch at $2200-2500?

6. Aradhakr84

Aradhakr84 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    6 in 1 week is extremely disturbing.

I too have a 9700k/2080 configured area 51m coming soon. Was super excited last week but hearing this concerns me a lot. I hope I dont get this issue. But if I did, atleast hoping it happens before 30 day return window so that I can return it and look elsewhere till this issue is resolved

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  7. Richard Bortz

Richard Bortz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got it last Thursday so I had it for 4 days. I was over a friends house yesterday playing for like 2 hrs straight Apex/The Division 2. Both adapters were in, no oc no custom paste.. I've had some crashes but I thought it was because of undervolt, now im not so sure.

mattcube64 likes this.
  8. hadi7fold

hadi7fold Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    We should hammer them on twitter ! These guys should get their units replaced and get compensated. Also they need to end this... Seriously thinking about canceling my order !

SlickDragon and propeldragon like this.
  9. garyfl

garyfl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    We should try to figure out what the similarities are and see if we can narrow it down to a revision of the board, then we can compare if we are at risk.

ErikO likes this.
  10. tutu0405

tutu0405 Newbie

Reputations:
    Now I wonder should i return it right after I receive it
    It shipped out on 14th March and I keep tracking it and never go any progress , only showing PENDING
    So Can i just cancel it and tell Dell I dont want it anymore.