*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    I have access to his 9700K/2070 and I did see his 9900K/2080 running 200W as well :)

raz8020 and ssj92 like this.
  2. HookemAZ

HookemAZ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Check my post history. I posted pics a week or so back. The actual screen was scratched and the bezels looked like they were wiped down by sandpaper. Was really bad WC work. I’d link them but I’m traveling atm.

3. evangelionpunk

evangelionpunk Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The best price I've gotten so far direct from dell was ~$3751
    RTX 2800
    8gb Ram
    1tb SSHD
    144hz gsync+tobi
    4yr premium support warranty
    4yr accidental damage protection
    area 51m backpack

(plus eligible for about $116 in dell rewards)

How does that sound compared to the best prices seen on here?

Then add in your own
    +$280 for 32gb Ram
    +$500 for 2 x 1tb 970 Evo Plus NVME

-----$4531 total with the ram and nvme. Maybe $4650 with repaste and fujipoly pads.... When you stop and think about this for a second, isn't it quite a bit to spend? Not exactly that portable or mobile either to be honest, considering its size, weight and 2 power bricks.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    c69k and mason2smart like this.
  4. minc3

minc3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Lol.. same feeling. In fact i was hopping that it is on sale on Amazon UK as their delivery n return policy are superb. But too bad.. have to deal with the Dell’s “trusted courier partner”.

5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    A proper Delidded CPU with an aftermarket Copper IHS should have the IHS the exact same height as the Intel nickel IHS. They usually have a wider surface area to fill inside the socket bracket.

There is some wiggle room though if it not to spec. The copper heat-pipes are able to flex quite a bit if needed.

If you want/need an i9, dellided is definitely the way to go. Also mainperformancepc.com has binned and delidded i7s in stock.

Of course, you are welcome to try and delid whatever CPU you get from Dell yourself.

Binning is up to the user if it is worth it. In theory, the better the Bin the better it will stay cool at higher clocks. Be warned a binned 5.2 GHz i9 will not likely run sustained @ 5.2 GHz with laptop cooling. Probably about 300 mhz less. Also. in theory again, it would probably run near silent at lower clocks if thats what you are going for.

raz8020, Papusan, c69k and 1 other person like this.
  6. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Wow that place is much more $$$ than where I was looking...
    https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/9900k50g

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  7. kyussmanchu

kyussmanchu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did they lock down the performance settings in the BIOS in 1.3.0? Yesterday, I was able to set the OC via the BIOS, today, the option is not available. I downgraded to 1.2.0 but to no avail.
    Is it even worth it to play with the OC in the BIOS vs AW CC?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

8. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    @mason2smart

Check my signature, that's what I got with my Alienware Area-51m (which I will receive in 3 weeks). I got the 5.1 GHz rated Silicon Lottery CPU not that I am expecting it to run @ 5.2 GHz since those ratings from Silicon Lottery have been achieved on a desktop rig but what it WILL do is operate much cooler than a standard 9900K due to its better silicon. If I can get it to run at the advertised speeds and not thermal throttle, I'd be very happy. that along with HIDevolution's thermal mods, I am only hoping for some superior results.

mason2smart likes this.
  9. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So, considering that the 51M is touted as "upgradeable," what kind of trouble am I looking at if I de-lid my 9900k? I mean, best case so long as it's not the processor itself, Dell should give me zero issues. If I break the keyboard and get a warranty replacement or if the motherboard dies which is unrelated, I'm covered, correct? Worst case scenerio, I could just go grab a cheap 8700 to throw into it should I have to send it in?

If warranty is going to be a pain in the ass, I'm tempted to...put in an order for a third 51m, lol. Yay big credit limits and nice return policies.

Here's my thinking. The 9900k is a $450 upgrade on the unit from Dell. I could buy it with the 8700, and just keep the 8700 around for any warranty purposes. Then I can tinker to my heart's content elsewhere. I can go to Silicon Lottery right now, and buy a 5ghz de-lidded 9900k for a couple extra hundred and likely get a much better binned chip with much lower temps. For ALL the money I'm spending, it seems worth it to spend an extra $200 for a guaranteed good CPU, lower temps, and a "back-up" CPU for any warranty/exchange work.

Thoughts?

EDIT: lol, just saw the posts above mine

Amroth and mason2smart like this.
  10. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I guess the short version is: an I gonna run into hell with Dell if I successfully de-lid the 9900k it comes with?