*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Build quality is good. It's not M18x level but it's much better than the others on the market (Clevo, MSI). I haven't owned a razer blade so can't speak form that.

Dell has a 30-day return policy. Just order it already :D

Ultra Male likes this.
  2. radiantpandass

radiantpandass Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi! Do you have any knowledge of hidevolution return policy? is it just a flat 30 day return?

3. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone still having issues playing games such as destiny 2? I could use some help, as I've followed the instructions but they aren't working.

I updated to KB4482887, had issues with frames in destiny 2, followed the guide to uninstall and it's still having an issue.

Now I see windows put out an update to fix that issue, but when I check updates I don't get anything.

The new fix is KB4489899. I tried to download the Standalone version of this and it says I already have it...

Can someone with more experience please help me out, just trying to play Destiny 2..

4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well some aluminum can be quite soft, other can retain its shape well. I hear very mixed signals.

I might buy a Razer blade to take with me when visiting customers and turn it into a Hackintosh but I worry about the build quality tbh. Cant find anywhere what series of aluminum they use.

5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I just unisntalled 887 and afterwards Destiny 2 ran fine again.

6. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've owned pretty much every Intel MacBook/Air/Pro variant since their release in... 2006? The A51M isn't quite near Apple's best. That said, it's absolutely even with the Razer Blade 14" and 15". I owned the 14 for a bit, and my buddy has a 15", and both are rock solid for sure, but there are a few finicky observations that put it a step behind Apple (hinge resistance and firmness, palmrest flex when you intentionally push against it, "even-ness" of the trackpad, alignment of keys, speaker mesh, how well the screws are hidden, etc) - but I've always felt they were the best feeling Windows laptops outside of more recent Surface devices. The AW15, from the little chance I had with it, goes for something completely different (it's clearly not chasing thin and light, so keep that in mind), but it absolutely trades punches with Razer... easily. WAY better keyboard, too.

In terms of the overall build quality - the sum of everything that you touch and feel in typical day to day use, I'd argue:

MacBook 12" and MBP 13" + 15" > Surface Laptop >>> SP6 and SB2 > 13" MB Air = Razer 15" > Razer 14" and Razer Blade Pro = A51M > everything else

7. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'll try that but I'm not hopeful. They said the newest update fixed these issues..

8. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I tweeted this naming glitch [​IMG] to Dell Cares on Twitter and got a reply within 5 minutes:

9. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    New BIOS increased the power limit! 210W PL1 now. Before I couldn't do 5.1Ghz stable now I can do it somewhat stable (TEMP limit & sometimes VR Current)

GPU is still 190W.

[​IMG]

Stock GPU/CPU @ 5.1Ghz:

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/18700093

CPU was thermal throttling and VR limit was hit

10. turbo87

turbo87 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thats an amazing deal. The list price on the system is $3300. How did you pull that off?

mason2smart likes this.