*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. VoodooBane

VoodooBane Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Hey, hey, hey! Someone has the right idea! here is a link to a MUST NEED TOOL! Fujifilm-Prescale-Sample-Pressure-Indicating via amazon for cheap! ($8 vs $400)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2019
    propeldragon and Kormi like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You need to connect external screen HDMI or DP or Type C to get full performance of the card in AGA.
    What's the baseline result you're expecting from CUDA-z?

3. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Fantastic, this is super helpful. It might be something goofy from mixing Touring with Pascal/Volta I suppose.

If you have a moment to try the 1080, I would be curious to see if you get the same result. I would also love to know the approach you took to installing drivers. Before connecting the AGA I have been rebooting into safe mode, using DDU to wipe everything, shutting down and connecting the AGA, and then reinstalling drivers.

I have a 144hz, 32" 1440p display connected to the AGA and have been disabling the internal display. CUDA-Z should be closer to 3000 MiB/s and full duplex like @tobyg which is near the practical limit of a PCIe 3.0 4x connection in the AWA. The imbalance between my host to device scores and device to host scores have me puzzled.

4. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Bogus temp, ignore.

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I mean you said ACC oc profiles put 3 bin lower clocks on all cores. Only 5.0GHz clock speed up to 6 cores. Or you can finally put real 5.0GHz OC with the app? This due the performance fan profile?

6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Have you tried older drivers esp. day 1 RTX driver?

alaskajoel likes this.
  7. Halewafa

Halewafa Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for the update! This makes me feel better, I wouldn’t be using both screens when hooked up to my external monitor.

8. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, but still weird. I wonder if there is someone else with the same issue.
    I somehow think, that this is related to the fact that there are 2 different type of g-sync monitors on one system with different refresh rates. not sure though.

9. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Okay will try ATTO soon. I have it to RAID, but from what I heard it shouldn't matter since this is a NVMe drive. Even in BIOS it shows as NVMe not RAID or AHCI. I do have it set to RAID still, I might have to try the trick to switch to AHCI.

Magician also doesn't see the drive properly.
    I did wait til the end. Looks like it might be the stupid RAID issue which is unfortunate.
    Sorry you two but I have owned Clevo P870DM3, P870DM, P570WM, all which are desktop replacements and they ran what the power supply allowed. AW should really fix this as this is stupid. 90% of Area-51M for gaming purposes should work fine with a single 330w AC adapter. This is clearly an artificial limit and I won't stand for this.

We should be fighting these limits not supporting them.....just like the 2400mhz limit that was supposed to be "fixed" with an update...
    I have an AGA but no GPU LOL
    Smart idea, will try in a bit
    Ummmm......what?

SlickDragon and Darkhan like this.
  10. kyussmanchu

kyussmanchu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    has anyone tried swapping out the 180W for a 240W. Is it worth it to even try?