*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    This is so stupid, I officially completely hate UWP apps. I reinstalled 10 Pro this time and same issue. But I just now got it to work doing this...

1) Install CC from the Microsoft Store (this version will give an AlienFX error)

2) Install the official downloaded one from Dell's website (it will overwrite the old installation)

Spent like 2 hours figuring this out...works fine now.

Time to restore everything else.

Windows 10 Education apperently has some weird permission errors, turns out that wasn't what was causing it.
    There was no option for this since it was digitally signed by Dell
    I would be extremely surprised if this was the case, luckily it wasn;t. Installed with my 32GB non oem ram.

I restarted countless times. Turns out it looks for an older install for some reason....

I haven't tested this yet, I'll give it a shot.

raz8020 and Rei Fukai like this.
  2. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes i tested it thinking the same thing. It behaves the same. I don't understand why they would willfully do this. Just let the laptop draw what it can. Don't use software to handhold your customers.

3. evangelionpunk

evangelionpunk Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If one buys this machine without the nvme's do you need to buy anything separately to mount your own Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMEs? Any special holder? Heatsink? Screws?

Is it even worth using heatsinks on these m2 NVMEs for 7-10C cooler?

Edit: seems like the m2 heatsink part number is 3n3w3? Still can't seem to find how much cooler it will run with this and whether the screws for the m2 are there by default or need to order them separately too....

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  4. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Mine has screws for both slots included. No heatsinks. That's the correct part number. I'll do some testing in a bit on temps

evangelionpunk likes this.
  5. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The screws are there. I ordered mine with just a 1tb hard drive and no m.2s. I installed both of my 2tb drives with no heatsinks and they seem fine. The screws are there

SlickDragon and evangelionpunk like this.
  6. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The aw command center exe file wants another exe file and that's why it's failing ?

what i meant was a coldboot, not a restart (thats why i put in my comment not a restart). When restarting you're just letting windows close off some programs so it can update them, but windows itself is not completely turned off. That's why when updating windows it says you cannot turn off your pc. It would lose all the information stored in the caches and ram because of the shutdown.

So maybe if you try again from a coldboot it does succeed.

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I don’t know the MB schematics for the dual power connectors. Could as well be a max hardware power limits if use only one connector. Have you checked what it pulls from the wall? If you have UPS or Kill-a-watt you can easily measure the max power draw. Even better if you also have a 240w psu you could test with.

8. lsramair

lsramair Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you know if the Dell DGFF 2080 is using GPU Boost 4? I'm assuming its enabled. If so, then there are so many factors involved in the clock rate that it would be difficult to chart it as a standard. It would differ per die i think, binning related. Hrmmm.

Do you have more in depth info on the clock rates you've experienced on the Turings you can share?

I know from Pascal it started cutting down from peak GPU Turbo (3.0) from as low as 38c, and settles at its base turbo bin (still above its boost clock) at 68c.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    c69k likes this.
  9. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Soooooo am I tripping or am I missing "NVMe controller" under storage controllers?

Samsung NVMe drivers won't install...

[​IMG]

I'll be ordering that SSD heatsink...Idk why my crystaldiskmark looks like that

@Papusan

Read ~ 71C max
    Write test ~ 92C max

[​IMG]

10. AlgoR1thm

AlgoR1thm Newbie

Reputations:
    During installation of AWCC INTERNET SHOULD BE ON, and it will come smoothly. Looks like AWCC 2018 year edition also UWP or DCH application.....(f*ck i don't know how to call already this bloat)...... It will download some files from web and everything will be done. Or like you sad you can go to microsoft bloatstore and install exactly from there.
    Forget guys about beautiful times when there was no need web to install drivers. What we have now?? --- Intel graphics, Nvidia graphics, Realtek audio control, AWCC........this is all DCH....and nobody knows how much more will be in future.
    Somebody can say: "Hey man, you are wrong, it makes our life easy, just connect internet an all your software will be up". But I prefer like it was before --- just prepare usb stick with your windows, drivers and sofware and make clean installation without internet connections. After connect, activate windows and You are happy.
    But now.....................:(:(:(

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    raz8020 and Lantea like this.