*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the heads up. I suppose I'll give it a try later.

2. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For anyone that read about my laptop having to reboot anytime I run on one adapter unless I switch it to standard charging, I got my response from support. And it was the standard "Is your computer plugged? That is very much common mistake. And update windows." Beh.

So they do atleast know it's an issue. I'm talking to my sales rep and he gave me a number to call. So I'll give that a go.

Darkhan and minc3 like this.
  3. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Guys... guys...

So, I ran to Michael's to grab some art supplies and it's attached to a MicroCenter. So I ran in even though I don't need anything, and they had a 9700/270 51M on display. I loved it, and was surprised by just how much.

I'm not gonna lie, while I have a 9900K/280 model on the way, there are all kinds of worries I have - especially considering the price - that meant even when I ordered, I did so thinking there's a decent chance it gets returned. Dell just gives plenty of reason to worry. To be clear, there were NO games installed on this machine, so things like performance, thermals, throttling, etc - which are super, super important - were unable to be judged.

But on pure build quality? Wow! It is much smaller than I expected. Don't get me wrong, it's an absolute beast compared to my 15" MBP or SB2 - but for a huge desktop replacement, it's considerably more svelte than the ones I remember from just a few years ago. The keyboard was exceptional - truly, truly great - and so much travel vs everything else in the ultrabook space these days. Zero flex at all - the entire wrist rest was just as firm as my 2017 MBP. And what surprised me the most? A tie between the quality of the trackpad and the performance of the display. The trackpad wasn't ****... it was actually, dare I say it... pretty good? I'm a HUGE stickler on trackpad performance (why I'll always own a MBP... Apple does it best), but this wasn't bad by any standard. Accurate. Quick. Perfection actuation point. Too small... but performance was great. And the screen is 1080p, and yeah that sucks. But 144hz is great, the colors popped more than I expected, and the viewing angles were WAY better than I anticipated. It's a big drop from my other laptops, sure... but it was the best 1080p display I think I've ever seen on a laptop.

More excited for mine to get here than I have been since ordering. Jealous of those already playing with theirs.

Jaxigar, Ultra Male and SlickDragon like this.
  4. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey.. Did you check if your computer was plugged?

Edit: Sounds exactly like something support would say.. hopefully they fix the issue. Goodluck!

5. turbo87

turbo87 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    BTW: There is a 15% discount coupon for Alienware computers that's going on right now. Can be applied to A51M. Its "Paypal15". Applicable to first 500 users. Also doesn't look like you have to use PayPal. Nice chunk of money on a A51M.

mason2smart, c69k, Kormi and 2 others like this.
  6. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well I found a work around and changed the charging settings to standard instead of adaptive. So right now I can unplug it and replug it in as much as I want. No issue. But @Ultra Male pointed out that the long term could lead to my battery overcharging and hurt it's health overtime.

Honestly it doesn't bug me too much. I'll replace the battery down the road if it's needed. But, I will be pushing to make sure this might get fixed in a future bios update so anyone else experiencing this that is less tech savvy than myself can have it fixed.

Really no big complaints other than that. I probably noticed this so quickly as I've been running around the house and using this like a normal laptop. Heck right now I'm in my living room typing this all out.

7. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    wow that is actually a really really really good deal. Wife, may I have permission?!

8. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My XoticPC order is STILL cheaper, by about $150.

However, the Dell order adds a 3rd year of warranty.

What do you guys think - 2yrs + LCD accidental warranty from Xotic, or 3yr/3yr accidental from Dell? That's really what the decision hinges on for me right now. I could cancel my Xotic order and have the Dell order probably 2 weeks earlier.

9. chewbakaats58

Reputations:
    I would go Dell 3yr/3yr 100%.

10. chewbakaats58

Reputations:
    Reading the fine print, looks like this is good for the first 1,000 users