*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. severous

severous Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I received my number today too is Exactly same batch of you i think.
    But don't know how time is needed to bring it to europe ...(by boat by plane?)
    Delayed from 13 to 15 March at the beginning

2. jorotaruGuy

jorotaruGuy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I replaced the original hard drive with a 1TB WD Blue SSD. It's much faster and, more importantly to me, much quieter. The sounds of the HDD spinning were driving me nuts, I haven't heard that sound in like 5 years. The 860 is good but I found it a little on the expensive side; for games just about any of the SSDs will do, just grab one on sale. There are tests on YouTube that show the difference between different SSDs are negligible in games; it'll load like half a second to a second faster.

I finally got the time to set up the laptop yesterday. Ran Cinebench and I was only getting a score of something like 1860, with the stock 9900K hitting temps of 100 degrees. Probably a sign that I need to redo the crappy paste job. But also in the meantime, I tried using the command center to undervolt -50mv, but it crashed. It's my first time doing any sort of under/ over clocking; should I be changing both the voltage and the value under that too? What kind of values should I be expecting to be stable?

Jaxigar and SlickDragon like this.
  3. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ThrottleStop for me. -140mV on CPU and -50 on iGPU. I had a random freeze on -145, but -140 seem good.

Diziet and SlickDragon like this.
  4. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    0384D8B8-2CF9-45FA-BC47-55E2B3589F30.jpeg
    Right one looks more professional to me:D So 2019!!

c69k, raz8020, Papusan and 1 other person like this.
  5. Kuronos

Kuronos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Alienware said my order will ship the 4th and come the 5th. Yet it's the 4th 2pm EST and it's yet to ship. Should I be worried?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

6. Aram Arzumanyan

Aram Arzumanyan Newbie

Reputations:
    Please read my previous post.

7. Rocktaze

Rocktaze Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Contact them via chat, My shipping number wasn't showing, i talked to them on chat and they gave it to me manually.

It shipped at 8:00 AM this morning and Purolator tracking just updated and i'll get it tomorrow :)

8. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Why not? Latest AMD chips are known to run cooler than their Intel counterparts.

Of course I'm referring to laptops in the division of A51m, GT75 Titan, Clevo.... not to the ultra-slim sector where I think they should stick to "U" CPU series (ultra low power) with that thickness.

I'm completely aware of that and I think AW has done a terrible work regarding all the communications (social networks, videos and web pages). They need to put some order on this urgently and not spit the first sentence that comes to their minds without checking all the information before and ensuring that what they are going to say is right.
    But I'm not referring to that, I'm referring others posts where some people is trying to bash AW by saying that the CES heatpipes prototype was much better than the production one based on the hypothesis that more cooper for the GPU chip directly translates into better cooling in the CPU side.

Personally I think they have done a good job in general with this AW model, but maybe the most powerful CPU models are not the best options for this one. And I'm sorry, but I still think that Intel is partly to blame in all this by designing chips that get so hot and also giving specifications of normal operating levels at 99º of temperature.

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Watt is still watt, sir. Less watt = less heat. More watt = More heat. + the die will be smaller due 7nm. And laptop cooling ain't on level with the custom coolers for desktops. Asus use AMD desktop cpu's in notebooks. They still run hot in the chassis at full load.
    upload_2019-3-4_20-44-55.png
    None will never know 100% how it perform vs. the new 7 pipes. But I expect Dell wantet less heat puked over on the graphics. They will soon increase higherr TGP for graphics.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Ashtrix, Vasudev, Darkhan and 2 others like this.
  10. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The lower the clock speed the lower the score. At stock it gets 1370+. At first i didn't notice it was underperforming because it would not drop from my set clock speed the entire time i ran the test. Temps also were great so I'm not sure what the issue is but there does seem to be one.