*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I have a 128GB of those actually. That's NOT an SD Card, it occupies a USB port. You see my point?

Plus, my SanDisk SD Card is a 512GB I would've liked to use that like I did on all my other machines without having to use any Thunderbolt expansion cards or whatnot

Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Due less (lack off) usb ports... Get you an usb hub.

3. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Thanks for this good sir!

This is just to let people understand the difference the thermals And Dells stock voltage make... Heavy emphasis on that voltage!
    Auto Fans
    20190304_080118_rs.jpg 20190304_080128_rs.jpg

Falkentyne, ssj92, Cass-Olé and 3 others like this.
  4. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Papusan likes this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  6. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    One slot taken away

I have never carried a HUB around before , and won’t start doing so lol ... life should be easier hahhaha

raz8020, Papusan and Spartan like this.
  7. Rocktaze

Rocktaze Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I received my Shipping number today.
    I was told it should arrive within the next 3 days.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  8. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    My favorite line “ When will it hit Dell Outlet “ ? ;D

9. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Per our other conversation. :)
    Also the pipes are all wider as well....

Correct, no Vapor Chamber, but it is about 95% independent of each other. Seems the only thing connecting both CPU and GPU HS is 1 pipe and 2 very thin piece's of copper, while the heat sink is made into part of the fan housing.(Also suppose to be adding to the cooling.) And it would appear that this is also copper.

So I have to retract the statement about it being unified in the interest of justice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Darkhan, HookemAZ, ssj92 and 7 others like this.
  10. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm in the market for a new laptop and found this A51m as one of the best choices for my needs and preferences.
    It seems to do quite well in terms of balancing power, noise and form factor (not too bulky) combined with nice aesthetics.

That would be great but only if the top models (3850X, 3700X) are able to run cooler than the 9900K and 9700K and are at least as fast as them. I have been reading a lot of posts in this thread and I have concluded that the A51m is able to cool down the RTX 2080 pretty well but has some troubles cooling down the CPU, specially the 9900K, but that's something that could be applied to the bast majority of laptops nowadays. I haven't found any laptop that is able to dissipate all the heat generated by the latest 8th and 9th gen Intel processors... unless they have a fan design that makes more noise than a Boeing 747, which is something I'm trying to avoid. I wouldn't blame Alienware for this, but Intel, I think they have been stuck in 14nm for too long and they have increased the frequencies beyond the limits in an attempt of trying to maintain the leadership in the market and avoiding AMD to surpass them.
    I think we need processors with higher IPC, more cores and lower frequencies that are able to run much cooler while being faster than previous generations.
    If the ryzen 3850X rumors are true, we could see a 16c/32t with 135W TDP that could possibly surpass the 9900K in terms of speed and energy efficiency. But I don't know if those 135W would be for the base clock or for the highest turbo. The i9 9900K TDP is supposedly 166W when it's at full load on all 8c/16t, so it would be 31W less if those 135W are for the full load on the ryzen, which should translate into less heat).

Considering this, I don't know what to do, buy now or wait until July to see if that ryzens are worth it (assuming also they will be mounted by laptop producers).

Also, I don't understand all the hate and flames from some people to AW regarding the 8/7 heat-pipes issue... AFAIK the pipes design has only been modified for the GPU chip, which runs cool in the production design, while the CPU pipes design from CES is practically the same that we can see in the production model, so I think the heat dissipation capabilities for the CPU in the CES model would be probably the same or even worse (due to the shared pipe being wider). I would say the CPU needs at least one more non-shared heat-pipe to be able to work properly under load to not throttle, but even without throttling the temps would be too high due to the 9900K being too power hungry and hot for a laptop.

What are your thoughts about this?

Ryder23, SlickDragon and Amroth like this.