*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Jaxigar

Jaxigar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

2. Jaxigar

Reputations:
    I went on and got the Dell one that they made specifically for it.. that way I don’t have to worry about running the risk of space/protection.
    It’s cavernous as hell, I’ll tell you now.. plenty of hideaway deep pockets and it looks internally sound on the protective side. You can never go wrong with a nice thing of bubble wrap though lol.

SlickDragon likes this.
  3. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  4. SacraficeMyGoat

Reputations:
    So my 51m's will be arriving Monday or Tuesday (9700k/2070.) Anyone have a list of things to check for/test when it arrives? I plan on pushing the power as far as I can go and testing thermals. If thermals aren't too great I'll be repasting with kryonaut.

Also, anyone figure out how to redeem BO4 yet?

SlickDragon likes this.
  5. Jaxigar

Reputations:
    Keep up with ssj92, he’ll be doing a lot with his 51m.

SlickDragon likes this.
  6. SacraficeMyGoat

Reputations:
    Okay. Thanks!

Jaxigar likes this.
  7. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dammit, what is it with my luck today.
    After the first bluscreen in the morning (it happened when I left the pc locked and left)
    , after a while websites started to half load, had to hit refresh in order for them to load properly.

And now Wanted to play metro exodus, FPS counter shows >50 (on my 4k monitor), but it's almost like 1 frame a second. Suddenly pc restarted itself. Event viewer shows 2 things.
    Error:
    Source: volmgr
    eventID: 161
    Qualifiers: 49156
    Level: 2
    Keywords: 0x80000000000000
    EventData
    \Device\HarddiskVolume6

Followed by a critical event Kernel Power with bugcheckcode: 278
    And parameter: 0xffffc982e03b6480

After restart I immediately started metro exodus angain same issue, Only this time I closed metro exodus with alt+f4. but pc was reacting the same, 1 frame a second. Although my mouse was still moving normally, apart from that everything VERY slow.

Didn't wait too long, and had a blue-screen:
    On event viewer had the exact same volmgr error, but the Critical event kernel power was this time with BugCheckCode 59 with parameters:
    0xc0000005
    0xfffff802680fdf0b
    0xffff868a9011e1a0

And the bluescreen says:
    SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    ntoskrnl.exe, nvlddmkm.sys

Damn, what is this crap.
    Hope it's not related to the samsung 970 pro I put in.

EDIT: Seems like the metro issue has to do with DX12, I suppose it's simply instability of the game itself. DAMMIT. gave me a heart attack

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    SlickDragon, Terreos and Spartan like this.
  8. garyfl

garyfl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I'm in the market for one of these (UK)
    I'll mostly be using it for video editing and rendering in after effects, can anyone tell me in that case if the 9900k would be worth it over the 9700k?

Anyone know if a 1440p screen is on the horizon?

The 2080 is £349 more but in benchmarks online it's only 15% faster? Is it worth just getting the 2070 and saving money? I'd want whatever I get to be faster than a 8750h and a gtx1070

Lastly, I've had some major trouble getting a discount on one of these from Dell this time around. Could always get around 15% in the past. Anyone got any tips or reps emails I could get in touch with?

Thank you

9. zendik

zendik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My local MicroCenter has a couple of A51's in stock as of this morning, but they don't have one on display yet, which sucks.

It's the 9700K / 2070 / 16Gb / 512Gb model for $2899.

They also have the MSI GE75 Raider with 8750H / 2080 / 32GB / 2 x 512Gb (!) for $2749. Which, naturally, they also don't have on display. They also have the GE75 with the same specs as the AW (not the CPU, obviously, but 2070/16/512) for $1999, which makes the AW an even harder sell.

I've been following the threads here for both machines pretty closely, and I'm struggling to see what the AW really brings to the table to justify so much more money. I mean, I get it: desktop CPU, theoretical upgrade path, different class of machine with the AW being more of a DTR like one of the big Clevos ... but still. They're asking for a lot of $$$ compared to the competition.

I guess first things first I have to decide firmly whether I want a desktop replacement or something more portable. But the thought of dropping nearly 4 grand on this thing when I could buy the GE75 and nicely update my desktop rig (4790K/1080) is tough to swallow.

Jaxigar likes this.
  10. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I guess each system is different. I play Metro exodus with DX12 on ultra settings and no issues on my 13r3 with AGA. I would think your system should have no issues handling DX12

propeldragon likes this.