*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Jaxigar

Jaxigar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The Alienware Graphics Amplifier is on sale with coupons for roughly $158.. I’m considering getting that and another graphics card... not sure which one.. to kinda give the cpu more thermal headroom.. should help the longevity a lot.

2. Jaxigar

Jaxigar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Also if you plan on diving into your 51M please post vids bro.

3. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I was gonna ask that next but I'll wait until tomorrow's reply first. If we can at least get XMP support that should allow us to run faster than 2400mhz.

Although for me...I ordered 8GB 2400Mhz default and will be sticking in my G.SKILL 32GB 2133Mhz so let's see how that turns out LOL

Very interesting, but for us that have 32GB or less (2 DIMMs) I would suspect we should be able to run 2666mhz+

Sorry, should have mentioned I already have an AMP from my AW 13 R3. It's been sitting in the closet.

Oh don't worry I plan to post A LOT. Just give me some time. After Monday things should be coming out from me.

raz8020 and Jaxigar like this.
  4. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The OP was that the i7-8700K was being installed in the Area 51m and people were reporting "great results". I'd like to know what that means. To me, it seems odd to buy the latest and greatest, but then want to put in a CPU from late 2017.

I'm hoping the cooling of the Area 51m would be able to handle the i9-9900K at stock under a decent load, but posts here are suggesting the heatpipes are having a hard time under sustained load.

VoodooChild, raz8020 and Papusan like this.
  5. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Yes, if the RAM supports that speed.

What's puzzling to me is that my RAM is rated @ 2666 MHz. provided I stick with 32GB. If I go to 64GB it drops down to 2400 MHz [​IMG]

That is some wicked voodoo magic

[​IMG]

c69k and Darkhan like this.
  6. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    @EepoSaurus installed 8700K and OC'd to 5ghz

Interesting...sounds like the Area-51M is locked to 2400 no matter what. I'd hope they unlock 2 DIMMs to be higher

At least yours clocks up.

raz8020 likes this.
  7. firedog

firedog Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Interesting, but I'm sure very frustrating. The Intel HD graphics control is correct as the laptop display panel is gsync so not connected through the Intel hardware like optimus graphic systems. If you connect a display via the thunderbolt/usb-c then it will connect to the intel graphics. For the NVidia issue I'd probably try cleaning out the drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller (https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html) to make sure everything is cleaned out correctly then reinstall the Dell version of the NVidia drivers and see if that restores the NVidia control panel. Thats usually my go to plan when display drivers decide to not play nice.

SlickDragon likes this.
  8. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wait wuh. I have 2x16gb (32gb total) of 2666 Corsair Vengeance. Can't get it running past 2400.

9. Kuro Kensei

Kuro Kensei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It does help quite a bit for sure. I have been using one for two years now with my AW 13 R3. Works great and saves both my CPU (under 70C at max load) as well as the PCH (under 65C) temps. But it kinda defeats the purpose with the Area 51M. Better find a way to fix the cooling in your machine or push Dell to pull their hands out of their behinds and prove their worth. Any thermal engineer will tell you, it's not hard to fix the heatsink. Much harder to justify the extra 50gr added weight apparently.

Jaxigar likes this.
  10. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    oh I was talking about MSI.

Is that a BIOS issue on your Alienware or what?