*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Virale

Virale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, I ordered my 51m with just the SSHD and, to my surprise, it didn’t include the screws. I saw @ninja2000 's unit with 1 M.2 SSD from Dell did have the spare screw for the second M.2 drive, so I assumed mine would have the 2 screws, minus the heat sinks.

I got nothing, so I got everything separately by purchasing thru Dell Support (heat sinks + screws).

Halewafa likes this.
  2. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The laptop had a screw where the nvme would go, I didn't have one prior. I can't say for the second slot though. I'd say just use some dell rewards and get the heatsinks and screws.

edit: seems to be a very YMMV when it comes to if the screw is in the laptop or not.

Halewafa likes this.
  3. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    for the extra 100.00 for the 9700k is best deal, that's the road I would take and did.

4. Richard Bortz

Richard Bortz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thats great to hear! Thanks for sharing. This will be my first gaming laptop so im super hyped! It still says Confirmed on my order so the wait is super fun!! :S

5. Rocktaze

Rocktaze Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So what's the part number for Area-51m M.2 Heatsink and what's the part number for the Screws? I'll order them now.

6. Tej Kumar Vusirikala

Tej Kumar Vusirikala Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, dell engineer came today and replaced my panel assembly because it had light bleed more than acceptable limit.
    This is how it looks now. Is this fine?? IMG_20190228_214547.jpg

7. firedog

firedog Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes mine had all the needed screws for the 2.5" and the M.2 drive bays and boy did they tighten the M.2 screws down, thought I was going to strip them trying to remove them first time. I ordered the M.2 heatsink (part# JV98R) from ebay, it was a refurb/second hand but came in a plastic baggy with the needed thermal pad and fit just fine. I think it's debatable if you need a heatsink or not, but for the sake of looks (that I only know about) and piece of mind it was worth the $20 it cost me.

8. Halewafa

Halewafa Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Go back a page or two, pictures were posted with part numbers for the heatsink and screws

Kormi likes this.
  9. firedog

Reputations:
    I think the key is the fan pitch, on a thin-n-light the fans are very thin and spin very fast pushing air though a small outlet. The combination is loud and quite a high pitch. On the area-51m the fans are nice and big and can run slower for a given air volume movement and the outlet is also nice and big. This leads to less air movement sound and also the fans have a nicer pitch to them so they are less annoying. To me they sound like a room fan running and I can easily hear the games sound without cranking the volume super high.

With my Razer Blade 15 I'd get looks like is that thing going to take off, where as with the area-51m no one seems to notice. Could also be they are staring at the size of the laptop in the thin laptop obsessed world we reside in :)

10. firedog

Reputations:
    I screwed up an install of fresh NVidia drivers, it got to the point of uninstalling the old drivers and then the installer blew up leaving me without any nvidia drivers. To reinstall I downloaded the driver from the Dell support website (https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER05...0-2080-Driver_TGMTD_WIN_25.21.14.1749_A00.EXE) and installed them, then let nvidia experience update the drivers to the latest ones. Hope that helps.

SlickDragon likes this.