*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. BrokenNinja

BrokenNinja Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @Rocktaze
    Tell Umar Khan that if the top model 9900k/2080 had issues cooling with there designs that they should have with held releasing the laptops with that configuration. If you don't overclock the cpu and you have to under volt the cpu to just to maintain below 85c. We dislike being lied to false advertisements is crap. The sheer fact is not everyone is going to get a magic bined cpu that runs better then others. The adverage person that spent 4-6k on this laptop should have zero issues. Let this not be the case. The rev1 of the design is simple thermodynamics. More copper more cooling assuming the fans can maintain the airflow.
    Taking the fake 8th pipe away did not help load sharing. Not under heat soaked situations. Look at the way the airflows on the G751JY & G703 Asus ROG series. It works and it makes sense couldn't be better yes.
    The tech exists.
    We could fit a multi state vapor chamber in the A51m. Specially for the premium price we paid.

More over this is becoming more and more unacceptable.

Lawsuit for falsely advertising the products. I bet it will burn your legs if you have shorts on with it on your lap because they get as hot as the old flammable AMD HP dv9000 series.

Venting complete.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2019
    Cass-Olé and Kormi like this.
  2. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm actually a bit torn on if I should keep the machine or returning it. I like almost everything about it, but the random freezing issue bothers me alot. Also, there's the slightest bit of fan rattle once in a while. :-/

3. BrokenNinja

Reputations:
    For what it's worth. Look how well designed the Asus G703 cools a Mobile i9 cpu and a lower end graphics card vs the hotter gpu & cpu offered in our Alienware 51ms..

[​IMG]

And now our Alienware 51m
    [​IMG]

I think they engineered everything and then cut cost on the thermal engineering that should have been done. ASUS figured it out. Lol side cooling.. Sure a it obvious should be a standard. Asus has double the amount of cooling fins to sustain the amount of heat.
    1 input per fan 2 outputs per fan 2 cooling fin setups per fan. Hmm sounds logical.

Alienware engineer. Hey if use the prototype design remove a little but of the copper save some $ there we can just use thermal limitations built into the laptop to throttle it so it works. It's essentially cheaper and easier.

4. BrokenNinja

Reputations:
    You can't loose out on anything if you return it. Nothing beats having money in your pocket and options for what proven high performance laptops come out. Its going to take alot for Alienware to step there game up at this point. The didn't do anything Clevo hasn't already done. They just did it worse and make you talk to India to order it. Maybe you will get lucky by the time your return is complete the revised version will come out of enough of us return the system. Or the R2 with the better screen and possibly a 2080ti. Wait what am I thinking they can't even cool a cpu let alone a monster like a 2080ti. Haha

5. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had power limit throttling after I solved the thermal throttling issue. I understand that it means that I'm up to the power limit set in the BIOS and that means I'm utilizing all of that room. However, I am not so sure it is a good thing; I have immense drops in FPS to the point where it is clearly problematic during games. When I check, it is not thermal throttling and not even really close to it - only power limit throttling.

I encountered this issue frequently on an older laptop (HP 15-ax250wm), where it was thermally excellent but ran into its power limits after a while at full turbo. The system then murdered its performance slightly afterwards. After turning the turbos down slightly on the Area-51m, I completely eliminated power throttling AND any thermal issues. When plugged in to my projector (Anthem on 110" screen!) the CPU heat never even passed 75C and I maintained 60 FPS with no noticeable dips (the limit of that particular display).

I'm no expert, if anyone can point me towards a good explanation of power limit throttling I'd appreciate it.

6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    From what I have seen
    @Rei Fukai said the Vapor chamber in last years AW17R5 was fake... http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/adding-vapor-chamber-to-a-heatsink.826742/#post-10841881

Dell's adverticed Vapor chamber in their press release last year. But any Vapor Chamber won't be more effective than how the engineers want it to be.

Hybrid (1-Piece) Vapor Chamber

Available from a growing number of manufacturers, one-piece vapor chambers are a cost reduced version of their two-piece counterparts, yet maintain the thermal performance characteristics while adding some unique capabilities... One piece vapor chambers make direct contact with the heat source, have a multi-directional heat flow, and can support clamping forces of up to 90 PSI. But they’re less expensive to produce because they require less tooling.

And you have the heatsink with glued on grills in Aw15R3. As you can see more copper doesn't always help:) Neither a cheap Vapor chamber heatspreader vs. propper copper cold plate.
    [​IMG]
    You mean its better? 100C from what I have seen
    upload_2019-2-28_7-43-19.png

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2019
    jclausius, Ashtrix, raz8020 and 6 others like this.
  7. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The current i9-8950HK + RTX 2080 version of the ASUS G703GX and MSI GT75 look like this:

Desktop_2019_02_27_22_46_46_717.jpg Desktop_2019_02_27_22_44_00_407.jpg

raz8020, Kormi, Mythbuster and 3 others like this.
  8. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As stated before, I have a fairly modern Clevo - I could return this and wait for a revised model. I think maybe I will do that, even if I really want to love the AW... :-/

EDIT: It's done. I requested a return for full refund even thou it saddens me.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    steberg, Darkhan and c69k like this.
  9. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    GT75 cooling looks solid.

G703GX not so much.

Area-51M maybe in between

raz8020, Vasudev and Rei Fukai like this.
  10. lsramair

lsramair Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone used an AC or chiller to bring temps wayyy down yet? Interested here to see what is capable/sustainable on the 51m power wise when thermals are taken out of the equation. I'm assuming there are still the usual fairly (or "UNFAIRLY!"I would call it) low limits from Dellienware blocking the hardcore enthusiast who cares not for portability.

I did read the thread, saw some mentions of PL throttling, but just wanted to ask directly if anyone has chilled her out and stretched her legs yet. Thanks!

raz8020, VoodooChild and Vasudev like this.