*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Surprisingly solid pricing... but sheds light on the insanity of the 2080 pricing. ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS to bump up from a 2060 to a 2080?! That’s kind of insane.

2060 + 9700K + 16GB for $2149 is clearly the sweet spot on price:performance.

2. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can't get to 23000 in Firestrike no matter how hard I try with the i7-9700k. Went to Overclock Profile 2 and still hitting around 22500. At my actual prolonged stable settings I hit 21500, so that seems to be where I'll let it stay.

3. nader_rizk2003

nader_rizk2003 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    https://imgur.com/a/c5jhSSi

Got the laptop today.
    1- attached above pictures for it outside and inside.
    2- build quality is very good
    3- Gets super hot with NO overclocking at all
    4- keyboard is good but not like the MSI GT75
    5- will compare games benchmarks with the MSI GT75 titan-013 ( which i am getting tomorrow ). if same results with less heat, i will keep the MSI.
    6- will compare gaming frame rates, screen, sound, keyboard, temps and disk speed.

raz8020, VoodooChild, Jaxigar and 6 others like this.
  4. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looking forward to your review :)

raz8020 and nader_rizk2003 like this.
  5. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Go back to Balanced Power Plan from Ultimate Power and run tests again. This also goes for anyone using TS. In Bob of All Trades video on taming the hot ass 8750H CPU he mentions that changing your power plan from balanced to any type of perfromance mode pretty much makes what you did in TS null and void.

6. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    With respect, you're not the only one around here who has hands on experience with varies laptops. @ssj92 said most of what I was going to say so read his reply, but just to be clear I too was talking about the chassis and material of the body. I had made no mention of the internals or superior heat sink that the 870 surely has.

I'm hands on with a system (laptops, desktops, delidding, resurfacing, modding, testing, tuning, benching etc...) literally almost every day. Therefore, I hold no bias when it comes to certain things as I just look at it for what it is.

We can agree to disagree, but the keyboard, mouse pad and overall material quality on the 870 is a joke IMO. I've made many mentions of this throughout the years where even a wally world chrome book has a better track pad and keyboard quality than an 870 and that is a fact. Go visit your local wally world and check out the $100-150 chrome books on display to see for yourself. It's sad but true.

So I too stand on my point of knowing what I know with hands on experience like you...and I have my own non bias opinions based on reality and not emotions. (Not referring to you, but to the obvious trolls who linger these forums who don't have any hands on experience or even own a system they constantly belittle. Childish I know..)

I would take what he said in the video with a grain of salt... As we know, at least here in the US and EU, a company can only deny a warranty (unless it is written, which to my knowledge it is not) that the cause of the damage was related to something that the user did.

Yea it's a pity to have any limits that's for sure. As for the proprietary stuff, a lot of that is nothing new...

Also, keep in mind that the power limits can be changed and as you've saw in the article, they have already announced that they plan to up the power limit so let's not forget that...

As I've mentioned above, take what he said with a grain of salt. I've inquired about the whole repasting thing, specifically for the Area 51M and basically nothing has changed in that it does NOT void your warranty ... the only real difference here is that they would like for users to use their thermal paste, but ..... ok enough said lol...

Don't worry about. I can tell you one thing for sure having dealt with varies companies, in that out of all of them, Dell is the most lenient and helpful, despite their horrific CS if you connect with india reps... I'd recommend speaking to SA reps instead and anyone here who has dealt with them will tell you the same. It's just the truth... no sugar coating. :)

Well said and exactly my point too...

Like what @ThatOldGuy said, you should be using Throttle Stop anyway. As for the microcodes, if they haven't been added before shipping, they will be added.

VoodooChild, Jaxigar and ssj92 like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Why? Because of the temps?
    [​IMG]

Where have he posted that he plan to up the power limit for Cpu? or you meant the announced 200w for graphics?

raz8020 likes this.
  8. Err0xx

Err0xx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Been away from forums a bit so no idea what's going on since I last posted but some updates. For those that haven't seen my old posts, I have max spec 9900k, rtx 2080, 64gb ram.

I've repasted using 4 thermal pastes. Arctic silver 5, liquid metal (grizzly), thermonaut (grizzly) and MX-5. None made a single degree of difference in temps for the CPU so the cooler itself seems to be at its maximum cooling capacity with factory thermal paste.

For the GPU, it's a different story. Some of the thermal tape wasn't touching the copper cooling pipes and the factory thermal paste had air pockets. I repasted, retaped, and added graphite pads on top of the tape and GPU temps went from 89 to 92C benchmarking to 73 to 78C. Huge difference.

Highest single run cinebench: 2280
    Highest 20 consecutive run cinebench: 2042

Highest Firestrike: 24,877
    Highest 20 consecutive run firestrike: 24,103

Anthem 1080p ultra everything FPS Avg: 118
    Anthem 1440p ultra everything fps avg: 92

Time spy max score: 11,020
    Time spy 20 consecutive run score: 10,776

Rtx 2080 at +160core +95memory, any higher and bluescreens.

CPU at 5.3ghz, 1.24v, -32mv offset.

Tldr: thermal paste helped GPU performance but stock thermal paste on CPU already maxes out the copper coolers cooling capacity. Dont think GPU repasting would have helped me if my factory thermal paste didnt have air gaps- so if you're seeing 70s to 80s GPU, repasting from factory likely wont improve temps much. Did nothing for me.

I did not delid and I think delidding the 51m is pointless. I think the copper cooler is already maxed in its cooling capacity- moving more heat to it wont help.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  9. nader_rizk2003

nader_rizk2003 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Tried but same results. NFS is my favorite but it always pushes the cpu to 100 and the gpu very high.

DannyB513 and Darkhan like this.
  10. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Correct the power limit for the GPU.

Perhaps if they are being proactive with doing this, maybe we will see other "lifts," in the future?

That would be nice.