*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. iron_megalith

iron_megalith Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That post got me confused. So if the product is so bad I feel like they should just not sell it. Otherwise what is the purpose of doing business with a company that dishes a bad product? It just screams of sell out.

I've worked in retail before and I've learn to maintain level headedness on products despite them being of lower quality or having glaring flaws. I do tell my customers what is wrong with such but at the same time I make sure to also provide them of the stand out qualities or benefits if you buy the product.

I know his opinions do not reflect the companies but I feel this makes you doubt reaching out to them.

Personally I am curious about what he suggested but at the same time I can't help but be skeptical if it's a sales pitch to make me buy that company's items or it's a sincere suggestion. If he suggests the EVOC, I'm curious about the build quality and the quality of the panels on those systems.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  2. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I literaly said the build quality of the M18x is superior. Never said anything else. I've also owned a Clevo P570WM with 10-core HEDT Xeon CPU.

Yes the P870DM3 has the best cooling out of the laptops I've owned.

I was purely speaking of build quality, chassis construction. Ease of access was also annoying on the M18x. I still have 2 of my M18x models, my friend has my old P870DM, maybe I'll do a build quality comparison video on all three side by side.

I hope you realize by build quality we mean chassis quality etc. The only fragile connector was the HDD clip. If you were careful and did things right nothing else should break.

I've probably disassembled my current M18x 50 times at least. Probably 5 times in the last 2 months. After 7 years its still fine.

My friend dropped it down stairs and it doesn't even have a dent. Don't think my P870DM would have survived the same.

yes! it already has high refresh rate 144hz gsync, tobii, 72% NTSC color gamut. Just need 100% AdobeRGB and it'll be great!

Where is this post y'all talking about? Nvm just saw it. For what it's worth, they're actually talking to the team about adding 8700K support. Whether they do it or not we'll see but it's better than nothing. @EepoSaurus

If anything you can order from Dell and try to get them to lower price. My final config was still $400+ cheaper than HID with the best discount they could provide. I didn't add any of their services so for me it was purely price although if ordering from them you should definitely take advantage of the delid/repaste service.

XoticPC idk....I didn't like the answer style to my questions so I stuck with Dell. I also don't like having to wait 2-3 weeks and paying return shipping on repairs.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    @Khenglish from what you can see from this pic....do you think the MB is build well enough for 9900K?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I thought 4K is supported natively in win 10 w/o scaling issues and text and icons were too damn small. Well, I didn't think of changing scaling haha...

4. cope123abc

cope123abc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well build quality by my definition is more than just using an aluminum chassis, it includes everything about the design and the materials used under the hood too!
    Example - the 17 R4 I owned not long ago had a decent chassis, but it was still using a very thin cheap mobo, with terrible ribbon connectors on and a defective heatsink from the factory (tripod design - uneven core distro) ... this is poor build quality.

I myself am careful with the ribbon connectors, but I can say that 99% of your joe blogs damage the connector under the hard disk and the little connectors for the keyboard + macro key LED's, for example, i see this time and time again.. for it to be such a repeat occurrence this clearly a build quality issue on the mobo, and the GPU's overheated - this was well known in the community too, again build quality.

I am a massive M18X R2 veteran myself, and I mean years with my system, but in comparison and in my personal opinion, it isn't as overall built as good, when you factor the whole package in.

The P870KM1-G is better thought out design, better thermal performance in terms of its watts in Vs heat dissipation, better audio, it pips the m18x on a like for like in all areas except for the metal chassis, that is literally it as far as I'm concerned.

5. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Donald says that if you change cpu you can no longer OC with Dell software? This is just for 8700k models right? If you went from a 9700k to a 9900k the software should still work?

6. Rocktaze

Rocktaze Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Right and Umar kinda said the 8700k will be added soon.

Darkhan likes this.
  7. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You should be using ThrottleStop anyway.

DreDre, c69k and Darkhan like this.
  8. euphoric28

euphoric28 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Tpu holder I 3d printed for 180/240w. If you guys want I'll upload the stl when I get home later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Virale, Nyceis, VoodooChild and 9 others like this.
  9. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @EepoSaurus i7-8700K installed BTW

Maybe he can shed some light on the AW tools working or not (I presume he is using Throttlestop though)

Darkhan likes this.
  10. emetri

emetri Newbie

Reputations:
    Which cable was this? The 330 watt one or the 180 watt one?