*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nah. If I repaste it'll be Grizzly Kryonaut. But ATM I won't repaste at all. Seem cool enough to me, and some of the fellas here reported minimal gains with repaste.

2. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Will have to ask him about that post on Reddit next time I am on the phone with him since he just sold me an Area 51m. ;)

Cancelled my order thru Dell and ordered thru Donald and HID...

Specs

Dark Side of the Moon
    9700K - Delidded with Conductonaut LM between die and IHS and Gelid GC Extreme between IHS and heat spreader
    RTX 2080 - Repasted with Conductonaut LM
    8GB RAM (2x4GB) - have my own 32GB 2800MHz RAM to add to system
    1TB 970 EVO Plus NVME SSD
    2TB Firecuda SSHD
    144Hz G-sync and Tobii screen
    Screen Calibration
    Intel 9260 wifi and BT 5.0
    Windows 10 Pro with fresh install and USB with Windows and all drivers (and unlike Dell Windows will actually be installed on the right drive :wacko:)
    2 year premium and accidental warranties

raz8020, SlickDragon and Spartan like this.
  3. Rocktaze

Rocktaze Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    SlickDragon and XxAcidSnowxX like this.
  4. whatismypurpose

whatismypurpose Newbie

Reputations:
    Was going to purchase the 51m through HIDevolution but saw the reddit post. I understand that it may be silly to think personal opinion could affect a professional service, but considering the purchase is 4-5K and a lot of money, it really doesn't feel great that the head feels this way about the product.

Anyone have any more thoughts on just Dell vs. XoticPC vs. HID? XoticPC is still definitely the best value, and I still haven't heard any real downsides or problems yet from folks. Looking for speed of delivery and a solid job on the internal mods/repasting.

Rocktaze likes this.
  5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    While @Donald@HIDevolution has decent tech knowledge, at the end of the day, he is still one of their sales team. He never will touch the system.
    His personal opinion on the product will not affect their professional services on any build (which are really good).

Xotic is good, but slow in my experience. Only got one device from them to compare though. Their mods held up fine.

raz8020, steberg and SlickDragon like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Not written but Frank Azor said you need their special thermal paste to not void the warranty. He talk about it at the end of the video. But as we know both he and Umar not always speak the truth.

Thats correct but remember he have an good dialog with his own tech team.

And some of us know the test results from Area-51m long time before it was released.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    raz8020, jclausius and Darkhan like this.
  7. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Great, you make my choice much easier. LM avoid warranty? I build a desktop. Azor can go f himself

Rei Fukai and Darkhan like this.
  8. Jaxigar

Jaxigar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    These warranty void rumors are really making me second guess even buying from dell... sucks because it’s been built and should be getting sent out here soon....

9. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Considering that PSUs are meant to work with wide ranging voltages and voltage fluctuations, from <100V to > 240V and with phase changes and whatever frequency, it is surprising that an inferior mains lead would cause issues. At 240V the 330W PSU would draw, say, 420W from the wall, in the US that would be around 3.8A, in EU it would be like 1.9A and in the UK maybe 1.75A. This is such a small current, I could use my bedside lamp cable in the UK and never know a difference. I am suggesting something else is to blame, unless of course you also believe that OFC speaker cables positioned across the earth's magnetic lines make a noticeable difference to your listening experience :)

I have no experience with QHD, however at 4K you just set it to 200% and it is glorious. Text looks like the most expensive type print font, imagine you have 4 times the amount of pixels per character on screen. It makes text on the 1080p screen look like those SEGA arcade machines from the 80s. :)

10. Killer_Networking

Killer_Networking Company Representative

Reputations:
    You can likely resolve this issue by clean-installing the latest version of the Killer Control Center, following this guide - http://support.killernetworking.com/knowledge-base/clean-install-killer-control-center/.

I see that you have uninstalled the suite, but please be aware that most manufacturers are now pushing the Killer Control Center through Windows Update (sometimes older, problematic versions) so I do suggest either updating the suite so that you can enjoy the full benefits, or removing it and installing the blocking driver that we provide here - https://support.killernetworking.com/knowledge-base/how-do-i-remove-the-killer-control-center/.

Thank you for the tag!

-- Anthony with Killer Networking

MogRules, Virale, raz8020 and 5 others like this.