*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. emetri

emetri Newbie

Reputations:
    I ordered the Area 51M from them (paid for rush build, had them do a repaste with gelid gc extreme/use fujipoly pads, swapped the ssds for 970 evos -- I know I could wait and install my own 970 evo plus's or whatever, but I'm impatient). They completed it yesterday and it's arriving today. I know they have more stock coming in this week, not sure if they're all spoken for.

2. clayton006

clayton006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So question here about CPU temps. I've re-pasted with Kryonaut and turned off any overclocking and just left the fans at 100%. Using the x264 bench I'm still hitting core temps in the 96-99 range and same for package temps. Should I be concerned about this? I figured this big CPU would be up here but just curious. Should I turn on the "Overclock" to try and undervolt as much as possible?

Jaxigar likes this.
  3. Rocktaze

Rocktaze Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    9900k? If i was you i'd definitly go and undervolt it you won't get much better temps without Undervolting it.

raz8020 and Jaxigar like this.
  4. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks!! I will give them a call when they open at 9 Pacific time. If they have them in stock and they are not all spoken for I may cancel my Dell order if I can get it faster thru HID.

SlickDragon and Jaxigar like this.
  5. clayton006

clayton006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah 9900k. I've did the max undervolt (-.100), and using the least amount of voltage allowed (1.12v). I then capped the frequency at 4.8GHz (which under all core load goes down to 4.5GHz) It's down to the low 90c range. I may step down the frequency a bit more.

6. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    I do use my desktop for gaming and rarely ever game when I travel. I'm also familiar with the cables that you're referring to. I've had my fair share of seeing fried cables.

All this talk of the old school M18xR2's etc... brings back memories. As for the build quality I agree with you.... I can attest to the fact that clevo is nowhere near AW build quality and like you guys I've owned / own them both.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    ssj92 likes this.
  7. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Alright, so I got my machine today. Great looking thing. Everything seems good, no problems. Screen is fine, no noticable bleeding or such. Very sharp too. No QC issues and SSD installation was a breeze.

Been installing the most important stuff, then testing a bit of gaming. At the max fan settings (which still is a far bit more quiet than my Clevo), I get about max readings 89C/68C CPU/GPU, thou that's after trying lower fan settings before, so a bit pre-heated. ;-) On silent I get max 100C/75C, but that's really silent tbh. The performance setting seem very balanced and will probably be what I use going forward. All in all - within expectations. Very nice machine. :)

steberg, Vasudev and XxAcidSnowxX like this.
  8. cope123abc

cope123abc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When you say "nowhere near" that's OTT massively.
    the M18x r1/r2 were great machines but it did have its flaws. The design wasn't greatly thought through, PITA to remove the GPU's, terrible clips on the mobos that were prone to breaking (couldn't buy replacements for years) especially at the hard drive connector side, the HD ribbon was also prone to splitting, overheating GPU's across the ATI and Nvidia range. I stand by my point, the only bit that was better on a like for like comparison with regards to the M18X vs P870x was the anodized aluminum chassis. I speak from hands-on 50+ m18x r1 / r2 systems since 2012, not just 1 or 2.

Both great machines and I like Alienware.

I am just unbiased and have had enough of them and been hands on enough to see the pros/cons.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    jclausius and Papusan like this.
  9. Kuronos

Kuronos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How many days before you got the machine did dell say shipped?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

10. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    About 10 days I'd say. I'm in Sweden, Europe.

Kormi likes this.