*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. gt83vr6reHelp

gt83vr6reHelp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's not only alienware, there are a lot of manufacturer's with laptops with the out-of-the-box thermal throttle issue at heavy load causing the CPU to not maintain advertised clock speeds or get too hot that you can't even use the thing @ 100% load without it tripping shutdown. I think this needs to change. Everyone should just RMA every new laptop they purchase if they throttle out of the box(assuming they can't maintain the advertised clocks during heavy load due to thermal throttling) instead of spending their own time/money repasting. Eventually these manufacturers will get tired of eating the cost and start using high quality paste or even liquid metal.

P.S-Get some of that liquid metal. it's a godsend.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    DreDre and ThatOldGuy like this.
  2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Even if paste is sourced better than the stamps (shin etsu is kinda ok) the application is rubbish on every laptop I ever disassembled

Vistar Shook, tungd678 and Vasudev like this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    We don't have RMA period once you buy live with it!

Vistar Shook and Rei Fukai like this.
  4. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have spent so many hours working and tweaking my laptop. I would assume the next laptop brand I go with, I will have to do the same because there are hardly any laptop straight from factory that will run with my expectations. I bought the RTX2080ti and second day I had it opened and repasted and repad the GPU. No person can do a job better than yourself. For those that purchase laptops that don’t like to tinker you will find yourself better off buying from vendors who offer services to tweak it from factory because the laptop will NEVER function the way it’s suppose to.

5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    119w CPU limit when GPU on full load
    136W max limit otherwise

150W limit on GPU with 180W OC limit

[​IMG]

Vistar Shook, @tomX, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  6. gt83vr6reHelp

Reputations:
    Wait so the user is forced to use alienware command center no matter what if they want to overclock? Can we opt to not install alienware command center and overclock like a regular desktop using only the bios? Is it true that ram speed is hard locked at 2400mhz no matter what?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  7. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You can overclock in BIOS according to that as well. Remove Command Center and just use bios is option. Or wait for new revision of Throttlestop maybe? XTU will work when updated

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah you are right, I owned some other gaming laptops for testing such as an Gigabyte (4 of them), an Aorus and an Asus. My younger brother hast a recent MSI Stealth. They all have the same issues unfortunately indeed.

This is also the reason I am always hesitant to recommend any gaming laptops. I myself can take m apart and fix stuff, but for the everyday user I jsut recommend a desktop. Especially for the money.

On mine it was okay, just it was drying up because my heatsink wasnt makign good contact. I posted some photos of it a year ago. Somewhere on this forum.

But now I have modded my heatsink with a copper shim and soft 0.5mm pads on the CPU side instead of the 0.1mm hard pads and now my temperatures are like they should be with traditional paste without degradation.

9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    What does Frank always ask Head of engg. team to answer queries in reddit when m17x and 18x users direct questions to him?
    Battery will die because once it crosses 75W the battery cell crosses 65-70C and it might shutdown permanently or battery might need replacing.

10. gt83vr6reHelp

Reputations:
    I assume it is because that would require him to spend lots of time monitoring all public outlets.