*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have not updated to the latest bios. I'm unsure as to my power draw. I have undervolted by -.1mv it is at 4.8ghz 1.3v. Ive been at work and trying it out when i get home ill tinker more. I'm weary about a bios update. Is it good so far?

2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Might be because VRM not strong enough to support the higher power draw from 2 extra cores.

Wasn't the processor advertised with "125%" power limit? That means just a hair below 120w.

Knowing everyone's obsession with power limits nowadays its probably locked around that ballpark.

Vasudev, Papusan and ThatOldGuy like this.
  3. euphoric28

euphoric28 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That was my thinking about the VRM's. Thats why I was leaning at putting it in the 51m or getting a z390 board and dropping my 8700k in the 51m. I guess I need to decide fairly quick.

4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    See this post: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...m-owners-lounge.826831/page-173#post-10865231

Apparently the same CPU in supposedly at stock with almost 150 points more.

Don't know exactly what the bios will do, 1 user at least upgraded without issue. Dells notes say:

Fixes & Enhancements
    Fixes:
    - Fixed the issue where the system does not reflect the charging status immediately when plugged in.
    - Fixed the unwanted noise from the speaker that is triggered by using the mute/unmute toggle key on the keyboard.

Enhancements:
    - Added the CPU overclock option in BIOS settings.
    - Added the Intel Hyper Thread Control option in BIOS settings.
    - Supports Alienware On Screen Display (OSD) application version 1.3.1.0.
    - Improved the power management feature to balance the CPU performance, power consumption, and thermal management.
    Version
    Version 1.2.0, 1.2.0
    Category
    BIOS
    Release date
    31 Jan 2019
    Last Updated
    31 Jan 2019
    Importance

Yes, supposedly in a AZOR tweet, 119W combined load (GPU + CPU both at around 100%) and 126W CPU solo (Not sure on permissible GPU load). However the screen shot with it @ over 160W blows that AZOR tweet out of the water. EDIT: more I think about it... Mahaps a fake?

In either case; a properly power tuned i7-9700K should reach almost 5.0 GHz on 120W just fine.

EDIT: added Screen for reference, and post: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...m-owners-lounge.826831/page-232#post-10868145
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    c69k likes this.
  5. AWholeHam

AWholeHam Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Is anyone else considering throwing an 8700k in? Should be whisper quiet and still kick ass for gaming.

6. euphoric28

euphoric28 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's still a hot processor but it's nothing compared to the 9900k and it still has about the same gaming performance

7. AWholeHam

AWholeHam Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I miss the days of having a 7700 laptop that didn’t get over 60-70C. I may have to swap.

8. ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck Newbie

Reputations:
    So I have a few questions for you guys that I want to know frank answers to because I can't seem to get my mind off it.

1) Are you happy with your purchase?
    2) On a 1080p screen are you really going to see any difference between a RTX 2080 and 2080 maxQ?
    3) Have you seen any increases with new drivers?
    4) I've never had a gsync screen so how much better is it and how low can you actually go without noticing any difference?
    5) Is it worth the wait?

My situation is that I ordered from Dell and once the date arrived I had no system. They never bothered telling me. I was super upset with the complete lack of customer service so I canceled it all together. I found XoticPC selling them significantly cheaper so I placed an order with them. XoticPC told me it will be later in March before they arrive so now I'm at the point of wondering if this truly is a quality machine worth waiting for or if I should just get something like the zephyrus or step down to 15.6" and get the Acer Triton 500. Any thoughts? I've never owned a 17" screen. Is it that much better than the 15.6"?

Lack of reviews on youtube so just wanted to see what some real world owners think. Thanks!

9. AWholeHam

AWholeHam Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    1) don’t know, hasn’t arrived yet. Probably though.

2) I have a GE75 2070 right now. You pick either high FPS or ray tracing, I’d rather have both. RT is awesome, especially in metro. I can only hold 70-80 FPS in high with a 8750h/2070 in BFV with some heavy dips. The 2070 just smashes into its 115w limit and falls flat. The 2080 has nearly double that limit (200w incoming).

2080 MaxQ is a joke. 80w limit. I’d take a full form 2060 over that.

3) See one.

4) gsync is so great. Screen tearing will never happen again.

5) I’m eager as hell.

I wouldn’t buy a BGA laptop over this. msi is the only ones I’d consider because I know how to double the TDP and let the 8750h run a bit.

The Zeph’s are a meme. Super hot laptop that opens up wide on a dinky flexible backplate. The only interesting one was the full 1070, and it had serious heat issues. GS65 is a bad time too. Had one, even with repaste it screamed like a banshee trying to keep cool. Flimsy build too, though I hear the RTX ones fixed that.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  10. Sven Boden

Sven Boden Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys,
    My Area 51M arrived yesterday. In Idle it is whisper quiet, but when I started Overwatch it reached 50dcb in about 5 minutes. Seems pretty loud...
    Some other games reached 45 dcb, is this normal?
    In quiet mode acustics are around 40dcb, what are your experiences?

Siepacz and VoodooChild like this.