*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Does anybody else find it hilarious that when selecting the GPU option for the Area 51-m, it shows MXM cards in the picture?

lmao.PNG

Terreos, raz8020, Prema and 3 others like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont waste $$$$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    HeHe, forced by the other OEM's a second time:D At least it looks like the change will come faster this time.
    upload_2019-2-19_6-40-39.png
    https://www.techradar.com/news/mobi...-we-don-t-feel-that-benefit-right-now-1327167
    Would be nice if some could test how the NVMe ssd's works in Area-51m.

Falkentyne, Ashtrix, raz8020 and 6 others like this.
  3. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    That 200w tweet doe LOL
    LOL which one :p

Prema and Cass-Olé like this.
  4. carlodelmazo

carlodelmazo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah that’s quite annoying, I was going to order the white one then I saw they charge for that model more than the black one, I end up ordering the black one, not paying more for a damn color, I put that money and bought more extra ram.

5. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Xotic PC charges more for the black!

carlodelmazo and DannyB513 like this.
  6. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Which makes me think they do get the discounts doing massive bulk orders and then trying to make up some margin on services and warranty. I mean, at the end of the day, I did pay them $100 basically to apply some thermal paste and do it quickly, lol.

carlodelmazo likes this.
  7. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And I gladly paid that 80 bucks and still getting the machine with lots of upgrades for less than Dell wants for it including tax and shipping.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

carlodelmazo likes this.
  8. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    despite piss poor CPU temp with R4 and R5, alienware has done EXTREMELY well in GPU cooling department, even with GTX 1080 full 180W. Temps are just excellent even when overclocked and it's even better when undervolted. My temps with GTX1080 overclocked to 1960MHz barely touch 70C when running witcher 3. In fact it's hovering under 65C majority of the time. I have utmost confidence in their ability to cool GPU.

having said that, in some shipped laptops, owners might run into stuttering issue due to poor contact cooling for GPU power delivery circuit especially when running at 180W. this is a quality issue which requires a complete overhaul of the VRM and chokes thermal pad on the GPU side, something which i hope will not happen again in area-51m.

I kept looking at area-51m DGFF board and i cant help but notice the VRMs are not visible on the top side of the board. it's just the chokes. how are the VRMs cooled?

Rei Fukai likes this.
  9. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    maybe it's not

or maybe the mylar sheet is just insulating the heat within? can't possibly transfer heat effectively though that, esp that thermal pad on the heatsink is only for the vram

10. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    To send you a swap they have to order a new build from China, and that will take ~20 days, and in the meantime there goes your 15-day no-questions-asked return-full-refund period, plus your year's warranty has already started ticking when you first received it. So in ALL cases the logical choice is to return it for full refund within the allocated period.

IIRC consumer plastics come out in black and any other colour requires extra manufacturing steps.

Yeah, I think that was money down the drain, if you got bad temps which is not what others have been reporting, you could have done it yourself for a fraction of the cost.

Please note that on the sister AW17R5 I have completely removed the chokes' pads and so far it's been fantastic. I have done this on two working AW17R5 laptops. I think trying to cool the chokes is a terrible idea. (a) chokes are not ICs, they are very hardy to 100s of degrees C, (b) their pads lift the heatsink off the nearby VRMs, (c) their heat adds to the VRMs as they are at the edges of the heatsink.

Please also note that thermal pads placed loosely over the contoured heatpipes without making proper contact, is another joke. At least on the AW17R5.