*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. AWholeHam

AWholeHam Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Got two of the 3N3W3 ordered no problem. $4.99 Canadian each with $15 shipping.

Latostno and Cass-Olé like this.
  2. Cass-Olé

Cass-Olé Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    NBR Member @carlodelmazo tweeted @ Fazor about the 9900k 2080 heatsink 15hours ago, he partially replied just now, has asked for Umar's help on this, so we wait for that reply now
    [​IMG]
    I hesitate to discuss an '8pipe' HS that's been pulled from production that no one will get (if that's the verdict of course), but since u invited me to look closer, to my eyes & on paper, CES '8pipe' HS has & is the superior cooling design, fabbed, marketed & trotted out to CES for that very reason, to keep things extra-chilly for the Tech Press because that's what it does; I typed a response over the why of it all but will hold off until Azor / Umar tweets a final answer

If it ain't in production I shan't run to its defense, & if we find out the CES '8pipe' HS is in production?, it should go without saying it's because they deemed it the superior sink to have (& so I wouldn't feel compelled to post the why of it all anyways, but I do feel it's the better cooling solution & was prepped to say why as a rebuttal), '8pipes' nice to have though given the 200watts incoming: Azor just tweeted 2080 rated @200w soon

If as u & others may say: 'Either way, this system doesn't seem to have trouble cooling the GPU', well, should this '8pipe' prove to be a live product & prove even better cooling when placed over a 2080, & 9900k of course, it'd be an embarrassment of riches then wouldn't it, & one more for the win column
    [​IMG]
    Someone here needs a heatsink comparison?
    [​IMG]
    Owner '7pipe' top >< CES '8pipe' bottom

edit: Or was it the HS for the SSD?
    [​IMG]
    Intel has several mainstream socket versions, collectively known as 115x, 1158 is a random number I picked to indicate a 'future' socket which is not 1151. Either new Comet Lake (rumored 14nm+++++++++++ 10core) will also be skt 1151 (as 3rd upgrade path when normal is two) or it will not be 1151 & will be a new socket (call it 1158 if u like, 1168, make one up that denotes it is not 1151); Intel can then release a new 10nm chip (for us to upgrade to) for that theoretical '1158' as the 2nd upgrade path ... it's too far out to know. This article tells us it may be a long time til we see a new Gen10 CPU, like Spring 2020 & nuthin for 2019 which defies belief actually. Stay focused on Comet & Ice Lake: Intel allegedly responds to Ryzen 3000 with 14nm Comet Lake, not Ice Lake

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Ashtrix, raz8020, c69k and 8 others like this.
  3. Virale

Virale Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ninja2000 posted pics of his lappy, here is one where the heatsink can be seen: (that’s his 51m)

[​IMG]

carlodelmazo likes this.
  4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Fair enough I suppose.

For the record, even if they do not release the CES one:
    I still can't imagine there is anywhere near enough difference between the two if you consider where the die(s) actually lies and Heat pipe position matters the most. I think the one shipping will do a small margin better in combined loads for the CPU; and the CES model will cool the GPU somewhat better in GPU heavy tasks. Hardly enough to make or break either way. The way you word it sounds like a conspiracy.

Either heat-sink costs about the same to manufacture (if you consider the relatively low volume of expected sales on this niche model). Saving money on copper (almost exclusively from "heatpipe 7") is a non-factor. This is a guarantee from someone in the manufacturing business, who's job it is to quote stuff like this.

carlodelmazo and AWholeHam like this.
  5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    White color is +50usd

White privilege much? Racist!

[​IMG]

/s

carlodelmazo and Terreos like this.
  6. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So pardon my logical opinion here. . . The "8" pipe heatsink is technically a 7 pipe heat sink. Since it was shared between the gpu and cpu. And the "7" pipe heat sink we seem to be getting has one wider heatpipe. So maybe the one we're getting is just the final version of that heatsink because they got better temps on the gpu by not sharing that heat pipe. And based on what members have shown we really don't need to be making such a fuss about it. The cooling solution seems to run very well and quiet of all things.

Btw the 200w update Azor tweeted has my interest. The more power the better.

raz8020, Virale, Joikansai and 3 others like this.
  7. AWholeHam

AWholeHam Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    From an engineering standpoint (albeit, civil...), I’d say it would be 99% that Dell would release the next card series compatible. So much money went into developing a new form factor vs recycling MXM, it would have to be a colossal failure or an incompatibility out of their hands (Nvidia) to cause that.

As far as Intel goes... Unless they break the normal cycle, expect the i9 9900 to be the best this laptop sees. Not to say that’s a bad thing. That processor will outlast any other component in terms of gaming performance anyways.

I’m honestly just happy to be away from BGA... My biggest fear with the i7 8750 laptops is that they will cook themselves in a year or two and leave you needing a new board. No more worries there, if my i7 9700 dies in the 2-4 years I plan to own this, I’ll probably be able to get a i9 9900 for cheap as it’s not a specialized part.

And hey, even if we only get 1-2 more video cards, that’s a mid lifecycle upgrade for me and maybe an end of lifecycle upgrade.

The prospect of a laptop that will stay fairly relevant over 5 years even is quite nice, for $4000 Canadian, I don’t think it can be beat. If I had to buy even 2 laptops within that time period I’d likely be over $6000-7000 already. Especially one that looks nice and isn’t some sort of black stoic block.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Papusan, raz8020, jclausius and 2 others like this.
  8. carlodelmazo

carlodelmazo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the shutout bro, yes I’m quite curious what’s going on it’s the heatsink, even tho shouldn’t be that much difference and probably was just a prototype model what we saw at CES, but I do think will be good to have clear understanding what happened.

Yes agree the 200w sounds very good indeed, let’s see if later or very soon they update ram to 2666 ;)

Cass-Olé likes this.
  9. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Welp, I did it!

Still might cancel - few questions are out there - the heatsink, more build-quality impressions this week, and I want to stay comfortably under 90c on CPU with low-ish fans. Also, there's more volatility to the pricing of this damn thing than searching for a used car. But with Xotic running a President's Day sale that I imagine has to be ending any minute now, I went ahead and pulled the trigger:

ALIENWARE AREA-51M 2080
    51M2080 $3,514.60
    Ordered: 1
    $3,514.60
    Thermal Cooling

1 x Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads on heat sensitive surfaces for Superior Cooling Performance $49.00
    1 x Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste- GPU & CPU (XPC Service) $36.75
    Warranty

1 x 2 Year Parts & LIFETIME Ltd Labor Warranty Tech Support w/ LCD Accidental Damage Protection $99.00
    Prioritized Build Options by XOTIC PC

1 x Rush Build (Ships in 1-4 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed) (Subject to Parts Availability) [List Unique Delivery Requirements in Comments Box] (XPC Service) $49.00
    Display Options

1 x 30 Day "No Dead Pixel" Guarantee $35.00
    Processor

1 x 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor (16MB Cache, 3.60-5.00GHz, 8 core | 16 thread) 95W $199.00
    M.2 SATA / PCIe / NVMe SSD Drive Slot 1

1 x 256GB Certified M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Seq. Read 2000MB/s, Seq. Write 1750MB/s) $53.10
    PCIe / NVMe SSD Drive Slot 2

1 x 256GB Certified M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Seq. Read 2000MB/s, Seq. Write 1750MB/s) $53.10
    Wireless Networking / Bluetooth

1 x Intel® 5th Generation Dual Band Wireless-AC 9260 802.11ac, 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth⁺ 5 $41.65

So, for less than Dell even AFTER a 18% rebate (DPA + eBates), I get better paste and fujipoly applied for me, a bump to 16GB of RAM from the 8, and get 2x256GB SSDs in RAID0; plus a dead pixel guarantee and a supposedly better wireless chip.

I intend to upgrade the SSDs to 2x1TB 970 Evo Plus in RAID0, and will probably find a 4TB platter for the 2.5.

Also looking to bump RAM to 64GB if I can find a good deal. I remember someone on this thread posting they had some Vengeance for sale, but I can't find that post. Hit me up if that was you! ;p

Went back and forth on the warranty. Hopefully 2 years gets me by. My thinking is if something goes kaput after that, since this is a pretty modular machine, hopefully I'll be able to replace myself without much issue. And I doubt I'll want to be using this thing 3-4 years from now.

carlodelmazo likes this.
  10. jorotaruGuy

jorotaruGuy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can look Ebates up online; they have one for Canada and USA. Basically, if you order from Dell after you visit their site, they'll get a kickback from Dell and as a result they'll also give you cashback. The % cashback will vary depending on if they are running a promo, but promo % goes up to like 15%