*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    But everyone recommends desktops, it's a clear fact that they run better than laptops thats what i admitted. But if you read my comments carefully, it's not about having the fastest, but being able to match desktop performance.
    the lack of 18 core was Intel refusing to compete, not because it cannot be done. It can be done, nobody just won't do it. and for the lack of powerdelivery: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1111...su-for-highend-laptops-sff-and-industrial-pcs Eurocom already had the answer.
    If you want to nitpick and really watch words you're argument won't fly here, as these are not laptops but desktop-replacements. So the emphesis is not on on it being a "Laptop" but a "Desktop-replacement" that can be hauled from one room to the other.
    then you didn't read my comment correctly. I was stating that laptops CAN be as fast as desktops without having to compromise much, not that laptops are the fastest. On a desktop if you want to be the fastest, you'll stay stationairy. There is no small for factor (sff) PC that has been made for gaming or overclocking and will outperform a good running Clevo/Sager/Eurocom without tuning. again i'm not trying to argue with you who is the fastest. Cause that's hands-down a desktop pc. What i'm trying to argue is that we've come to an point that laptops CAN be as fast AS desktops IF they're tuned correctly.

But i understand your points and you're right.

custom90gt likes this.
  2. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just got word back from Xotic that the screen is the G-SYNC version. Placing order right now for the build in the above quoted post.

Total cost including shipping and 2 year warranty that includes accidental screen damage (I am at an overseas military base so I don't pay sales tax and will be doing bank transfer that qualifies for 3% savings for cash payment):

$4190.48

Was informed when I placed my order over the phone that they nor any other re-seller will be receiving the laptops before the end of the month. I told them that as long as I get it before I leave Afghanistan to go home on R&R by March 31 I will be happy.

SlickDragon, Vasudev and Fire Tiger like this.
  3. iron_megalith

iron_megalith Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Interesting. Those seem to be relatively nice numbers. I have never been so glad that I returned the 17R5 and decided to wait for this. Also is that test using Max fan profile right from the start?

On the other hand, this kinda does not bode well for 9900k but I would like to see a proper test with a 9900k/2800 configuration. Not like I expected it to contain that chip but it would be interesting to see how it performs regardless

4. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you want to have the brand new laptop yanked open (literally), warped, abused and with snapped cover clips, then great, call out the Dell "techie"...

Virale and ninja2000 like this.
  5. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1) Price must be a very serious compromise. I bet you can get the same or better performance at 1/3 of the price?

2) Lack of screen estate? A desktop would have a 22"+ screen, whereas laptops (mostly) stop at 17".

3) Complete lack of screen choice - a couple of hundred pounds buys you a new screen, maybe more Hz, maybe better Adobe RGB, maybe higher res - no way to do this in a laptop (or extremely hard).

4) Lack of upgrades as CPU and GPU are soldered - very few laptops have socketed, and practically exchangeable CPU / GPU.

5) Much inferior keyboards and non changeable

6) keyboard stuck right up the screen, so you have to type with arms extended unless you like the screen up your nose

These are all very serious compromises for users of laptops, and each of these could be a game changer for some people. Of course laptops have the one and only advantage, instant portability, for which all the above sacrifices are gladly made.

6. ninja2000

ninja2000 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Doofus - So true, I have had dell reps damage a precision and 2 x aw 17s over the last couple of years!

But also they sounded like they had no intention of making a lunar white keyboard. If I liked the black colour I might have pushed for an exchange but I really love the white

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Ryder23

Ryder23 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can anyone tell me if the 9700K/RTX2070 Comes with 1 AC adapter or 2?

8. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Two

180 and 240

Ryder23 likes this.
  9. Ryder23

Ryder23 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thankyou. I must have read somewhere Incorrectly that one of the Spec'd 51M only required 1!

10. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations: