*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do we know something about the real Powerlimits on CPU side? I know from @Prema that the RTX2080 has 190w PL. The CPU should have 136w PL... but in this pic we can see at least 138w. Can we adjust the Limits with TS or XTU?

[​IMG]

and Azor said that the cpu is limited to 119w while the RTX is under load... in the pic its 126w while CPU and RTX are under load. At least the actual PL situation looks better than advertised... The last generations it was the other way round. :) i just want to know what power limit we can work with

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    raz8020 and ThatOldGuy like this.
  2. SlickDragon

SlickDragon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone know if in order to access the second m2 ssd, if the additional screw removal/disassembly is needed? I get really nervous tampering too deeply with screws and cables due to bad experiences, and would wanna order an a51m from Xotic with 1 nvme ssd in one slot, and fill up the 2nd m2 slot with a sata m2 i have.

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Probably so. I don't know of any reason it would not.

4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Look a little closer.

#4 is a thinner heat pipe in the version everyone is getting. #7 that doesn't extend is much wider. I'd say that is the better version, where the one with the extended skinny #7 and shared wide $4 is a worse solution.

In other words, there is far less heat transfer between GPU and CPU in the version people a reportedly getting with i9/i7 and RTX 2080. Which I would want if I got one.

Either way, this system doesn't seem to have trouble cooling the GPU.

c69k and Darkhan like this.
  5. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It appears no 7 provides extra cooling for the GPU (assuming the GPU is on the right) and it does not interfere (much) with the CPU because it is last in the CPU side pipes.

No 4 however shares loads the GPU with heat from the CPU and comes first on the GPU side fan, so that's another story.

6. Richard Bortz

Richard Bortz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Still noone knows what response time the 144hz screen have

7. ninja2000

ninja2000 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So I complained to dell today about receiving a us keyboard on the uk model. They have offered me £100 as a goodwill gesture or that I can return the laptop. Just a heads up for other uk buyers who receive a us keyboard.

Rei Fukai likes this.
  8. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    if you look here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzH7HbSiHTteSpyyDLmFNZGCcn60KGep4 you can see that most of the machines he benched, or makes video's for tuning it's based on laptops not desktops. Everybody is a big proponent of benching on desktops, but that's easy and not fun. Hooking up a waterchiller and making a loop can make a desktop silent already, but having desktop performance in a laptop form factor while staying cool is something that's on another level.

that's wrong. Having a fully LGA/MXM based machine makes it a desktop already apart from power requirements, attaching a big air cooler like for example a AC unit to your laptop brings the temp down considerably. After that it's the quality of the wafer, firmware settings and how good the machine has been tuned to surpass a desktop. Gaming on a desktop is overrated, cause i can get the same results on a laptop (with maybe 5 to 10 fps max difference) as long as the laptop won't throttle it's enough.

And stripping a laptop like how they would strip an desktop (no chassis only the required parts to turn on the PC to OC gpu or cpu) is also not uncommon:
    mancracksopennotebookandoverclocksceleron900-540x334.jpeg
    mancracksopennotebookandoverclocksceleron900setup-540x334.jpeg

Every year the desktop market shrinks, and the only group off people holding it toghether are gamers.

??? never said anything about johns 1080, apart from that if the desktop 1080 pulls 180 watts (that can reach 210 watts) and my laptop does the same, how will it outperform my machine ?(i mean by lengths not error margin points) The most important thing (if both parts can pull the same wattage) becomes firmware and temperature (gpu lag cancer 3.0). That's why i stated my 1080 has traded blows and outperformed some models of 1080's. It's the same 1080 you would stick in your desktop-pc except the die is intergraded in an bga motherboard (and that he firmware is being controlled by DELL, so no scross bios flashing can be done)

9. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes his previous videos are on laptops, but if you read the Desktop Thread you'd know he recommends building a desktop if you want max performance. I agree that having a fast laptop is cool, but again I realize the limitations of a laptop vs desktop.

I realize that hardware wise it is similar but there are big differences in power deliver, cooling, firmware, etc. This is why it will never be as fast as a desktop. Not to mention the lack of horsepower like 18 core i9s... And I am aware that you can put a pot on a "laptop" but at that point it's no longer a laptop and it still doesn't have the power delivery of a desktop.

My point was simply that you can make a laptop fast, but if you want the fastest you have to have a desktop. Last I checked, Kingpin wasn't running laptops to sit on top of the leader boards.

We can talk about this in another thread if you would like. Trust me, I love laptops but know the limitations of them. I couldn't justify a gaming laptop for myself as I enjoy having a Desktop with some decent hardware at a much cheaper price.

toughasnails and katalin_2003 like this.
  10. jamesjacks22

jamesjacks22 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just checked my invoice and it says US keyboard as well...

Can't they just send out a tech and replace the keyboard?