*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Siepacz

Siepacz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Kettle lead is different bro.
    It's different standard, Google it.

2. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    everything we know right now is, that even 9900K/2080 Configs are shipped with the smaller heatsink ( the one with the missing second shared heatpipe)

Why?
    maybe it has turned out that the second shared heatpipe brings worse results so dell chnaged it? Or it depends on a different config option (more SSD? Would be silly, i know)?

Maybe someone can contact a Dell rep to find out what we have to order to get the biggest hs? If there is one...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  3. user54321

user54321 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Trying to get better discount from Dell, but the best they offer is 300-400$ off. How did you get yours 1000$+?

4. Cass-Olé

Cass-Olé Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    For simplicity I've called the extra-long extended pipe #7

It isn't shared, not in the same sense #4 is shared; #7 goes off on its own path & doesn't contact CPU hold-down, it looks like it's GPU-only, & folds into the fin-stack @ the fan

Since it's a 'GPU' pipe, it makes sense that 2080 should get it, when paired to 9700k & 9900k

I'm sure if I ordered 9700k / 9900k + 2080 I'd get on Twitter & elsewhere & find out about this mistake; otherwise, only THE TECH PRESS is getting hold of this top-end heatsink for glowing reviews while the public gets the cost-cut version (are they trying to charge people after-the-sale for the heatsink in the photo?) ... it's $5 worth of copper lol

edit to new reply: If it's a factory-error, it needs to be reported & resolved on their end, & affected buyers need to place a claim for the correct part; maybe a slight refund is in order to those affected

If some lackey at HQ said 'hey boss, I found a great way to sell our top customers two heatsinks!', that's it's own problem to consider

If the 8pipe was scrapped due to issues in testing or sourcing, members can grumble about that if they wish

If there's indeed an 8pipe version, & a rumored skt 1151 10core lands with RTX 3080, I'd want the 'best' cooling solution already in place waiting for them later, the one I paid for & didn't get, the one intended to make my 2080 chilly-ier inside my $4000 **** laptop right now

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    jclausius, Darkhan, TBoneSan and 2 others like this.
  5. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Come now, don’t forget that this lovely rod doubles as a bat to scare off burglars... ;-)

Terreos likes this.
  6. Muyfa666

Reputations:
    So far, it seems like everyone here are reporting good thermals and acoustics. If noone is getting the ”best” cooling solution, but everything still works good, is there really a problem so to speak?

Terreos and 1Schumsta1 like this.
  7. 1Schumsta1

1Schumsta1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe the "bigger and better Heatsink" was just for testing or something like that. Or like captn.ko said, it wasnt that good as intended to be.

c69k and Latostno like this.
  8. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    sure...because as an enthusiast we want the best we can get :) And Azor advertised the A51m with the bigger HS, so we cant expect to get it*, when we spend 4000+ on a f+++ing laptop

*asumed that the bigger HS is really better

raz8020, Cass-Olé and Latostno like this.
  9. Muyfa666

Reputations:
    Maybe they dropped it altogether. Hardware revisions happens all the time with electronics. We don’t really know as of now. We DO know that what we have is something that seem to work good.

c69k and Latostno like this.
  10. Latostno

Latostno Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    We will probably know soon when US buyers get their units next days

Sent from my MIX 3 using Tapatalk