*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've never had the pleasure of using a modded Clevo DTR. So from my experience when you get a laptop you're sacrificing power for form factor. So I never would expect 100% performance from one just due to thermal limitations of such a small chassis.

That being said the tests that some of our fellow members have done so far are impressing me. I'm coming from a 1080 Ti with 5820K. And I'm hoping to side grade and not notice much of a difference. So far it looks like that shouldn't be a problem.

Now when the clevo laptops starting popping up I was interested. For the same price I can get the 17" Clevo DTR with the 9900K instead of the 9700K. But I know from benchmarks that the 9700k and 9900k are neck and neck when it comes to gaming. So I'm ok with the 9700k. Plus it's hard not to argue the 51m looks alot better.

So build quality ultimately win me over.

DannyB513 likes this.
  2. Siepacz

Siepacz Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Hey bro 9700K vs 900K there is a difference in games and its pretty big.
    This difference is not in the frame rates but in load.
    For example while 9700K is under 70% load playing on 9900K is only 50-55% load. So I have to say difference is big.

Vistar Shook and c69k like this.
  3. evangelionpunk

evangelionpunk Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    How is that LM repaste on the 9900k with 2080 coming along? Looking forward to its results :)

c69k likes this.
  4. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've watched Gamersnexus on a very detailed video on the two. And the price you pay is not worth it. There are games that the 9700k beats the 9900k. So no there is not a big difference. Just price. If you want the 9900k because you have the money then go for it. But telling people there is a big difference when it is well documented that it isn't? Don't do that. Some people want the best bang for the buck. And for gaming the 9700k is a much better value than the 9900k.

VoodooChild, Rei Fukai and Joikansai like this.
  5. Siepacz

Siepacz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Im agree the value of 9700k is great and most of us will defo go for it.
    I tested both in few new games , playing with streaming show me average 20% load difference in between 9700 and 9900. Frame rates was exactly this same.
    Im massive gamer and i did not play new game yet where 9700k would beat 9900k.
    Well like You said some people want bang for the buck but its not the best best bang for sure.

c69k likes this.
  6. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Also, the 9700K runs slightly cooler at stock speeds as far as I can tell. That’s a good thing.

Joikansai and Terreos like this.
  7. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well that's why you're seeing better numbers. The hyper threading on the 9900K is helping alot with added load of streaming. So that makes alot of sense.
    And when I say beat I don't mean there are times when the 9700k crushes the 9900k. I mean it might get 5ish more fps. The difference just isn't there. Even in games where the 9900k is the clear winner do to the game being able to take advantage of hyper threading I'd be hard pressed to believe you'd be able to tell without monitoring software.
    There is also the cool factor of just being able to say "I have a 9900k in my system!" :eek:

Darkhan and Siepacz like this.
  8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ah I might just had a version before that then. Currently running the latest version.

custom90gt and c69k like this.
  9. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am all about the cool factor.:cool:

Terreos likes this.
  10. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    if we go look chassis to chassis dimensions, it's just a few mm thinner than most LGA Clevo machines. The difference between a Clevo and a 51M should be negliable cause of the thickness in chassis. Also like you're stating you're being held back while that may not be the case on a Clevo machine. I'm not trying to bash the 51M. It looks like a nice machine with the performance to match, it just doesn't "outperform" like how the marketing would make me believe it would. I Thought AW was climbing straight to their respective glory days without throttling and holding the users back while the information that has been available looks like this is just another marketing ploy to reel in the last people that kept going on about having LGA and upgradeable graphics.

i still have 17 r5 that is going strong now, so i don't feel the urge to upgrade (and with some heavy overclocking my 1080 can match a 2080 cause mine is not restricted)
    but i would buy an 51M if i saw one at the outlet (but not if there are still firmware/bios limitations)

The fact that people like @Johnksss @Mr. Fox and @Papusan have shown that desktops are overrated (cause even with SLI laptops can surpass desktops on air) makes me want to keep benching on a desktop replacement. It started to look nice when the 10 series gpu's came out but Nvidia messed everything up again making the laptop versions slower so now they won't be running equal anymore. My 1080 has kicked butt of 1080's in desktop with tripple fan cooling and 6 or 7 heatpipes while mine had to fair with only three.

again i'm not trying to bash, cause just like you i'm impressed (don't forget that putting your fans on silent makes your cpu and gpu downclock and won't let it run full speed) about the points the machine get's. I'm just not convinced this machine is the "first" and "fastest" Azor tried to make it look like. If i'm going to throw 3/4k towards a machine, it should perform like the best of it's class and outperform. Not barely scrape by. That's why i'm saying their are people with years old chassis running past a newly released machine only due to firmware and bios limitations.

apart from that if i was not the tweaker i am today, i would probably buy the 51m in a heartbeat. cuss from the outside it looks like a fine and mean machine. But i prefer sleepers (a volvo v40 T4 makes a nice sleeper) so it could look as ugly fiat multipla, as long as it performs like a mclaren p1. Buuut again my opinion !

can't wait to see your full opinion and tuning results.

Papusan, Johnksss and jclausius like this.