*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Vasudev likes this.
  2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes, they shouldn't have to pay. But for as long as I can remember (I've had over 25 laptops) even if thermals are alright out of the box, a repaste is a must. The OEM paste is just crappier than anything you can get.

Also a repaste on a thermal solution is like an oil change in a car. It is necessary because (with exception of very few) the paste will degrade with time.

Docsteel, Lopt, DreDre and 6 others like this.
  3. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Each video shows fans running pretty high during causal web surfing and are very audible on the video. If your gaming on it, I could imagine the fans will be spinning at even higher rpms and this thing can sound like a jet plane.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    It was addressed in one of the videos. The laptop is still in development they say, and fan speed is not controlled. Azor said the team is aiming for 35-40 DB under full load (not overclocked)

raz8020 and Vasudev like this.
  5. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I will definitely wait for the reviews. I've been an AW user since the first M15 days and still use that machine till date so I'm an old timer around these parts. GTX 280M for the win!

My daily driver is a M17xR3 3D self-upgraded to a 680M and a 2960XM and it still performs like a champ. I kept this machine because of its delicious 120Hz screen. Now, I need to retire this system and keep it in my antiques collection.

Also, I won't be buying from Dell India, I'm looking at hidevolution this time around and hopefully their paste job is as good as they say. In any case, it's definitely a MSI GT75 or a AW A51M for me in March.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Because the stock will be replaced anyway and its best to get the price included w/ Professional repasting.

Good. Buy from Hid when you visit USA next time. No point in paying huge import duty for Dell India when you get the same PC like US in India w/ higher price.

I suspect the fan noise will be there with normal grease w/o delid on 8700 and on 9th gen its pre-delid.
    I have one doubt, how can Frank say new DGFF GPU w/ included ports when new ports don't fit correctly in older chassis if HDMI is superseded with USBC?

Rei Fukai and ThatOldGuy like this.
  7. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    If I was engineering it, I would simply fill the gap. Hdmi shaped plug with USB C port in center. I doubt they would be that creative though. Its their own PCB design. They will just continue soldering on HDMI. For now USB C needs to go though CPU anyway. So a moot point.

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I don't think so! Nvidia drivers include USBC driver for displays with GSYNC features. If USBC is indeed controlled by nvidia then its good because they can handle higher res and refresh rate w/o any issue.

Rei Fukai likes this.
  9. gt83vr6reHelp

gt83vr6reHelp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    O I definitely understand the importance of repasting over time like an oil change, couldn't agree more. I'm just saying in general, a product out of the box should not have to be repasted right away to function as intended. Manufacturer's need to use better paste ^^. Forcing the initial repaste is like buying an airconditioner and being expected to pay for the 1st batch of freon upfront. like nope, that comes with.

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  10. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Its not really the paste itself thats the problem (they recently started to use a variant of shin etsu, at least they did in my 15R3). The problem are in ym opinion the thermal pads that Alienware uses. The blue pads arent very compressible and soft and I have 2 heatsink revisions and both didnt make perfect contact because of those pads. After repaddign them with gelids, all my issues where solved. A repaste alone barely did anything for me. Tested it with Kryonaut, ICD7, Nanogrease, Mastergel maker nano etc

mason2smart, VoodooBane, c69k and 3 others like this.