*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Vanya

Vanya Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Like, I'm 85% of my time running on quiet fans and they are inaudible. They sometimes even disable themselves (with appropriate CPU undervolt and GPU too).

I got the i9/2080 variant.

Fire Tiger, S1ammin and d00minat0r14 like this.
  2. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Probably a smart move. Don’t get me wrong the area 51m is a good machine. You just have to spend some time with it and tweak it. And I do agree that shouldn’t be something you have to do on such an expensive machine. But, I have said it before and I will say it again. The 9900K runs hot even on desktops. If you want 5Ghz you need to delid it and do a repaste. And you’ll need to undervolt it. It’s just too hot of a chip to expect that in a laptop. If all your doing is gaming then you should honestly get the 9700K. It runs a lot cooler and in games you may lose 1-2 FPS on most titles.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  3. GerhardK

GerhardK Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yea I enjoy mine too. Sometimes I get caught up in having the "ultimate performance" but it's still the best computer I've ever owned. After repasting and re-padding I found a good compromise in temps and performance. I've been totally fine with the temps on my 9700k with a -125mv undervolt and stock OC. My 2080 runs about 10 degrees colder at 1800 Mhz @ 0.9V as well.

If I want quiet gaming, I use my 1600 Mhz setting on the balanced fan setting and it still performs fantastic - think 120-140 fps most games. Been playing Halo MCC on PC lately and I get like 200 fps no problem even with one power brick plugged in.

4. Helifax

Helifax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

I made another video in which I show the difference in thermals & FPS gain/lost using the CPU & GPU profiles I setup in the previous videos.

I used the following games and I played each game for around 30 minutes before capturing the last 5 minutes of the session.
    The game I used are as follows:

Metro: Exodus - Huge GPU usage - Low CPU usage:
    Part 1 : Quite Fan Profile with "Green" CPU/GPU oc&uv Profiles.
    Part 2 : Max Fan Profile with "Best" CPU/GPU oc&uv Profiles.

Battlefield V - High GPU usage - High CPU usage:

Wolfenstein: Youngblood - Good GPU usage - Good CPU usage:

Hope you like this comparison!
    Cheers!

5. Helifax

Helifax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I agree with you mostly! Don't take it the wrong way, but Alienware (used to) and Clevo (is) and enthusiast machine: Meaning you will not get the best results "out of the box".
    Everyone "loves" to say "for this price", I expect it to "make me food, work for me and even fly me to the moon". Having EXPENSIVE desktop components in a LAPTOP chassis (and the brand Alienware) will obviously cost quite a lot.
    If you want an out of the box experience then I would recommend to stick with some "gaming laptops" with max-q or even the Lenovo's without a proper GPU (because you can always put a "gimped by thunderbolt spec" external GPU to it an pretend you have a desktop GPU running on a laptop... Aham) Probably you will pay almost the same as on the Area-51m in total (but you will have a nice bulky external GPU ^_^). And the biggest problem is not even this. Is that once you try to change something (tweak anything hardware related) you will realize that you cannot.

The Area-51m comes very close to a "desktop replacement", but it will not replace a full desktop no matter what (weird software/hardware locks and the lack of a proper bios).
    However! The hardware is -5% off the desktop performance (at CPU/GPU stock) and is portable!
    I have a full-tower i9-9900k at 5.1Ghz - watercooled by a 360mm radiator and an RTX 2080Ti overclocked to 1950Mhz (the 2080Ti boosts lower than the RTX 2080) also watercooled by a 360mm radiator and any temperature ABOVE 60 Celsius makes me scared! This is because in the past 10+ years I only had watercooled desktops and laptops with LAPTOP components that they maxed out at 75 Celsius. The Area 51-m will have higher temps than that "out of the box", but with tweaking you will be able to "tame" them in the 65-80 Celsius range. (Just don't expect to overclock to 5.0GHz on the i9 and 2000Mhz on the RTX 2080 or something. That is very hard to achieve on desktop, let alone on air cooling).

I am extremely impressed by what the Area 51m can deliver! "Out of the box" is a bit messy, but being able to play Metro:Exodus (without RTX) on ONE 180W power-supply on the COOL profile (the one that cuts power on the GPU to 50W) on Ultra @ 60FPS blew me away! (The fans are basically off). Then I just plug in the other power supply and I can go to full RTX (Ultra) and 180W @ 90-100FPS is basically mind blowing (with obviously higher acoustic discomfort ^_^)

What I am trying to say, is don't expect everything to be fully served! Learn the machine and how it works! Learning how to overclock and undervolt, how the hardware works and why. It is a skill you will use for a long time to come.
    And plus, it will give you the ability to tweak it and "personalise" it to your preference.
    The performance is there, the cooling is there, which is a marvel in itself! Just don't expect FULL desktop cooling in a laptop.

I would recommend that you re-think your decision (if you are into computers).
    If you just want a "sexy laptop" that has good performance but you don't want to deal with any tweaking (and I completely understand that!) then this is not the one for you!

Cheers!

Mr. Fox, jclausius, DreDre and 6 others like this.
  6. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I run Balanced mostly and only notice fans when gaming, just normal web and desktop use I don't notice fans at all.

I can run my KS at 5.0 all cores through Throttlestop, and have been, but not really going to see that much difference between 4.8 and 5.0 just using the machine anyway only if your a benchmark junkie.
    I have not noticed any throttling on my CPU at 5.0 all cores but I probably have not pushed it hard enough to notice it, games don't push it enough most games these days seem to be heavily GPU intensive rather than CPU.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2020
    Fire Tiger, d00minat0r14 and c69k like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    New one bites the dust. Area-51m, LCD turned off, will not turn on

SMOKE AFTER 7 MONTHS.jpg
    You mean you haven't access to AVX Negative offset settings in bios? There is no need to cripple the clock speed or lower the power limits if you use those settings.
    "gaming laptops" with max-q won't make the big differences.... 100C has become the standard out of the box. Aka works as intended!

8. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    What is considered a good price for a 9900KS?

9. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Either that or cripple it’s performance so it runs at a reasonable temperature. It’s so funny to me though since Alienware pumps so much power into their m15/m17 laptops that the cpu just pegs at 100C out of the box, and yet they cripple the gpu on the Area 51m so it doesn’t get hot. Make up your mind Dell! o_O

jclausius, DreDre and Papusan like this.
  10. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Most if not all laptops will require some sort of change when the come 'out the box' regardless of make and model etc. I'm sure (opinion) some Clevo's without the Prema mod probably need a lot of tweaks to get it just right and even the Clevo's with the Prema mod still need a lot of tweaking using the modded features to get it right.

Its all based on you and how you want it, in my opinion. There will be loads of folks out there happy with the 'out of the box' experience with any laptop. However, most of the people who are aware of temps and look into things a bit more will always tweak in one way or another.

EDIT: I've only mentioned Clevo as it was one of @Muyfa666 potential future choices. Not turning this into a ones better than the other contest.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    S1ammin and uugui shi like this.