*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Helifax

Helifax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Currently, once 1.8.1 was removed, I would have reverted to 1.7.3. I am not sure what the reason for removal was, but since it is removed I see no point or benefit or using it :)

Cheers!

Fire Tiger likes this.
  2. lestat2k7

lestat2k7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for this, I understand it better now. So that W shown as 340W that doesn't take fans into account?

Also if this shared pipe design is a problem, which seems like from a heat balance POV, why do laptop manufactures make them shared? Why not make them independent? I even saw some images of 3 fan laptops, not sure which brands or models but the pipes seemed separated.

You are right about researching really deep because that's one point I find certain manufactures like razer annoying that, they don't even list all of the spec info, like memory speed or some other crucial thing, and if you don't know for the better you will be suckered into buying one.

Hi do you have any pics of your 4k laptop? What panel did you end up using? How much did it cost you?

If you can do this, then there is nothing stopping you from putting a 1000 nits micro led panel there or at the very least 4k HDR like in gigabyte aero 17? I am really curious how you did this and the panel you bought perfectly fit the laptop with no cutting of the laptop chassis?

Props for doing this.

sasman1964 and jc_denton like this.
  3. jc_denton

jc_denton V̖̟en̰g̻̼̰̩͙ea̲n̪c̭e̼ ͍̘̤͓̟̤Is̙͔ ̤Mi̻̭̣͎͍ͅn̰ḙ

Reputations:
    That 340W is a perfect world scenario. We will have to wait and see how the system actually performs in the real world, where it's not set up in ideal conditions.
    The unified heatsink has it's upsides though, some titles/workloads are either CPU or GPU heavy, meaning you can better leverage the unused capacity in those cases. And the upcoming Ampere should also offer benefits from a node shrink to 7nm, further improving power efficiency. Which would give the CPU more room to breathe.

But as always, it'll be interesting to see how entusiasts will modify and improve upon its design.

Papusan, Fire Tiger and lestat2k7 like this.
  4. Speedy Gonzalez

Speedy Gonzalez Xtreme Notebook Speeder!

Reputations:
    haha yeah I still feel like me but a slower version lol didn't expect to find you here LOL

there is two options one screen is from the gigabyte aero 17 hdr AUO panel 60HZ it's the one i got the second it's the screen from the razer 17 also AUO but 120HZ both are 100% aRGB there's only one seller on ebay his screens are new but with serial erased and it says no warranty on the back https://www.ebay.com/itm/4K-17-3-UH...682867?hash=item341c744b33:g:8g0AAOSwCXBeBB0s

https://www.ebay.com/itm/120HZ-4K-1...072908?hash=item4b71fed38c:g:8g0AAOSwCXBeBB0s

Here's a guide how to remove the screen with pictures https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re...ments/ayn5pw/aw_area_51m_display_disassembly/

the pcb board at the bottom of the screen is longer than the one on the 51m so you have to break 2 little tabs that clip to the bezel in order to fit the screen and I also removed the webcam because otherwise you'll have to grind the plastic down a bit because the camera is in the way and I don't care about the camera

to remove the original screen turn off the laptop and pry slowly with your fingers the bezel getting your fingernails under it and it will slowly pop out then there's two black tabs at the bottom of the panel you have to pull down slow while pry on the lcd to let the glue come undone if you do it right the screen will be out in 30 minutes and the glue strips will come out in one piece

to install the new screen you can use that glue they use for cellphone batteries but I just left it unglued since the bezel holds it in place lol.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Darkhan, Lopt, lestat2k7 and 2 others like this.
  5. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:

Is easy to take off the bezel?

6. Speedy Gonzalez

Speedy Gonzalez Xtreme Notebook Speeder!

Reputations:
    very easy it has clips like any other bezel and a tiny strip of double sided tape at the bottom part nothing hard to remove the pull tabs for the lcd need more patience to remove in one piece those are a little hard.

Fire Tiger and sasman1964 like this.
  7. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Longshot here but its the best place to ask....

Does anyone have a 9700k OC at x50 or above and if so what are your idle temps?

I have a 9700k OC to x50, my idles temps are mid to high 40s which seems high, however, within ThrottleStop I have Speed Shift enabled at 0 and am wondering if that's the cause for the higher idle temps?

What are your Speed Shift settings and is there any benefit to me running it at 0?

8. S1ammin

S1ammin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My daily OC is 5.1ghz and idle is 42-44c. Room temp is 74F.

Using Alienware CC, balanced, voltage 1.26v and offset -80mv

Not sure if this helps since I'm not using TS, but maybe just a reference point for you.

9. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for the input, definitely good to see.

Have you got the voltage set static or is that your average on adaptive?

10. S1ammin

S1ammin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That is what the slider in ACC is set to.

Fire Tiger likes this.