*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

78c did not work for me it be be different for each of us due to ambient temperature and other issues.

I think the idea behind this is to overcome the hard throttle by triggering the cooling Before you reach the hard coded limit .

But the Real trick of the matter is you still have to keep the temps below that limit, only way to change that limit so far is to run 1.5.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There also seems to a a bit of variability between GPU’s as some here are able to run Time spy at much higher + core clock then I can, timespy so far crashes on my if I + core anything over +60.

Ok I take that back, it might be my methodology but I really seem to get slightly different results each time I try different configurations, now THIS time with BIOS 1.8.1 and 200w VBIOS it seems I can run +100 core clock AND +100 Memory on my GPU, and it seems stable, however I’m not really seeing much of any gains except better GPU temps which all leads me to believe that it may just be the buggy interaction between AWCC and Afterburner.

I really wish I could ditch AWCC but that’s never going to happen.

Anyway we will see how this runs for a few days.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2020
  2. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not unless we can convince some smart dude to get like speedfan or some other app forking for fan control...

Lopt likes this.
  3. xcal237

xcal237 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have tinkered with the temp limits on the 1.8.1 bios with the 1.0.0.5 180W vbios and im here to tell yall that it doesnt matter what temp limit your GPU is set at its going to throttle when it hits 78c. I just downgraded to the 1.0.3 bios and the 200 watt vbios. all with gsync... gsync on laptops arent the real thing anyways since its a just nvidia's implementation of the HDMI/Display port variable refresh rate standard. Meaning theres no gsync module on your laptop so basically its just gsync compatible/freesync cause its all done with software implementations.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2020
    devilhunter and Lopt like this.
  4. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok I forgot that in my last setup I had re enabled GeForce experience Whisper mode, now I’ll admit Whisper mode is pretty neat, temps stay nice and low on the GPU and the graphical changes are easy to miss,

That explains the strange performance discrepancy.

It’s weird because it’s actually pretty good the GPU seems to hit its low end rated speeds when it needs to and most importantly never thermal throttles even using 200w VBIOS, but benchmarks tell the story, whisper mode TimeSpy 690O / Whisper off 10728.

Funny thing is you really don’t miss the performance in games, I’m sure most of the dedicated benchmark folks know what to look for and would spot it immediately but I missed it, until I went looking for why the scores and my GPU temps were so low.

New theory, I bet a lot of average folks that are perfectly happy with this laptop have Whisper mode enabled.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  5. ace6285

ace6285 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, first post here. Just got my Area 51m (i7-9700 / 2080 180w / 32GB ram / 1.8.1 BIOS/ ) more than a week ago, and so far happy with the performance. However, I'm encountering a peculiar issue when restarting after the latest AWCC components update. When restarting (manually), the system seems like it fails to boot. The LED of the keyboard will turn into the 'rainbow' pattern which is the pattern when the system is powered up, which seems to indicate that the system has indeed rebooted. However, the Alienware logo doesn't appear and it's just a black screen and nothing happens. Have to long press power to force shut down the system. When you power the system up, it boots properly. So either the system actually failed to power down/restart and freezes/hangs or it hangs during the boot up.

Additionally, the system seems to restart and boot properly if you reboot immediately in the Windows login screen (not logging in). So quite an odd issue. Anyone encountered this?

Also just to note, the SSDs are in RAID mode though the two SSDs are not in a RAID setup (configured as individual drives). Also, below is the current version of AWCC (as per "App and Features") :

* Command Center - 5.2.63.0
    * OC Controls - 1.2.50.1227

Thanks!

UPDATE: seems like the USB C / thunderbolt hub that I'm using is the culprit. Didn't encounter any issues when using it in Windows, but when I removed it on restarts or boot up, was able to restart properly. Will continue to observe though as the system also boots up properly from a powered down state even when the hub is connected.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  6. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Same outcome though - not sure it really makes any difference if its a hw module or software as software and hardware are logically equivalent. I'd call that the 'real thing' from a Computer Science perspective :)

I might be mistaken but people were able to run systems with heating and no throttling exceeding 78c in the past before the whole "burning laptop" issue came to light and the consequent 1.5.0+ BIOS/VBIOS changes, but someone correct me if this is wrong.

7. Helifax

Helifax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I haven't used whisper mode. I remember reading about it when it was launched, but then forgot about it as my previous Alienware didn't support it.

I did play with the "battery mode" though:
    On bios 1.5.0 playing Metro Exodus will work super fine. The FPS cap will be 30 pretty solid (I had to turn off RTX as GFE thinks I should use it on battery). All went well until my battery dropped to 50% at which point my GPU downclocked to 300Mhz and was "stuck" there for the reaming 50% of the battery (with abysmal 5-10FPS).
    I have tested this 3 times and every time it was the same.

I plan to test it on the 1.8.1 bios and see if the problem is the same.
    Out of curiosity, did anyone try this?

Cheers,
    Helifax

8. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

It would be interesting to see how it did with on Battery WITH Whisper mode enabled.

9. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Im considering modifying a heat sink for water cooling this laptop, I might get an extra heat sink to play around, Not sure if this is a wise thing but apparently, water is the only way out of this. How to remove the heat pipe from this thing !

Fire Tiger likes this.
  10. Helifax

Helifax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You should watch this (Cooling the Area51m):

I giggled so hard ^_^

MogRules and Lopt like this.